Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counting Every Play-Through
01-03-2022, 11:34 AM,
Counting Every Play-Through
It would sure be great, especially for newly-trained PG players, if each and every scenario that they play is counted toward their total scenarios played. As it is now, an individual scenario -- once played -- is counted just once. No additional play-throughs of the same scenario are counted toward a player's total of games played.

IMHO, this seems like a discouraging practice if the object is to encourage as many people to play PG as possible. I think that this is especially important for those who choose to participate in VASSAL shared, online play. Perhaps there might be a standing requirement that an AAR also be filed for each play to be counted?

A game play is a game play, after all, so why not count every scenario play-through, either solo, or shared that a PG-HQ member plays and records?

Perhaps there should a be a poll of the membership on this question?
joe_oppenheimer and Blackcloud6 like this post
01-04-2022, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 06:53 AM by Blackcloud6.)
RE: Counting Every Play-Through
I agree.  Count all plays.  All Plays Matter! (Sorry, I couldn't resist) Big Grin

Now that VASSAL play is getting PGers together, the common wargamer way of "OK, let's now switch sides and try it again" wants to rear its head.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
01-04-2022, 08:48 AM,
(01-04-2022, 06:18 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Now that VASSAL play is getting PGers together, the common wargamer way of "OK, let's now switch sides and try it again" wants to rear its head.

That would be a caveat for me it comes to multiple counts on a scenario. Perhaps also with one solo play counting. Where would multiple plays of a given scenario stop counting for advancement? After all, a 150 rounds of Town Fight shouldn't give you a commission. (I have played through the mentoring scenarios 6 or 8 times.)

Generally the ranking system is a little hokey. It is based on the percentage of scenarios played of the then and mostly out of print offering of the Panzer Grenadier system. It is also a little tiresome that there are 7 levels of sergeant. Also, home grown and experimental scenarios don't count. While there is a lot to be unhappy with, I can't think of good working alternative.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-04-2022, 09:49 AM,
I concur with Peter on this one. The max # of plays credited should be 3: solo, red, blue (or whatever terms one likes for axis and allies). My concern with even suggesting this however is that I have no idea how much more work this would be in coding for the page. This site is the best site devoted to a particular game series anywhere on the web now, and if this lays a lot more on the site's managers, then nyet.
goosebrown and treadasaurusrex like this post
01-04-2022, 10:07 AM,
(01-04-2022, 08:48 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:18 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Now that VASSAL play is getting PGers together, the common wargamer way of "OK, let's now switch sides and try it again" wants to rear its head.

That would be a caveat for me it comes to multiple counts on a scenario. Perhaps also with one solo play counting. Where would multiple plays of a given scenario stop counting for advancement? After all, a 150 rounds of Town Fight shouldn't give you a commission. (I have played through the mentoring scenarios 6 or 8 times.)

Generally the ranking system is a little hokey. It is based on the percentage of scenarios played of the then and mostly out of print offering of the Panzer Grenadier system. It is also a little tiresome that there are 7 levels of sergeant. Also, home grown and experimental scenarios don't count. While there is a lot to be unhappy with, I can't think of good working alternative.
Yes, the current system is surely silly, but the key question is: who cares if someone wants to play a particular scenario 50 times in solo or shared play mode on VASSAL? It is a only a game, que no? Who cares about wins & losses on a virtual battlefield? Do adults really need the affirmation that achieving one of 7 levels of "Sergeant" conveys, after playing a certain number of scenarios?

If individuals enjoy playing PG online, or in-person and sharing it with their friends, we should be as welcoming & encouraging as possible. IMHO, that is the only grownup solution to the question of counting "game plays."

I'm pretty sure that Mike at Avalanche Press, and the various PG-game/scenario developers would agree. More engaged and happy players = more interest generated in WW2 history, more enthusiasm for boardgame-based wargaming, and in terms of mere commerce: more games and extensions sold.
Blackcloud6 and Juiceman like this post
01-04-2022, 12:59 PM,

I think three plays would be fair. I would very much like to do some scenarios once on each side. Not very useful, but, "I'm with you fellas."
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).