Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A swelling impulse
12-19-2021, 01:21 PM,
A swelling impulse
On an impulse last week I made a counterset for gaming friend of what would have been his unit in WW2. Then there was another counterset for another not as friendly but equally respectable guy's unit. Along with the countersets I created Vassal unit extensions. (Once the first is done the other is easy.) No, I'm not giving unit designations or names without permission.

I have 3 motivations for this sort of endeavor. A geeky tribute, because I appreciate what we have here, despite our problems. I think the historical side of gaming should more alive and personal. And lastly, I hope to further inspire members creativity.

Now that I have kind of started, I thought I would extend an offer of counterset/extension creation to any vet, from any army who might want one. All you would need to do is PM/email me and I will look into the possibility. This offer is good for those who may have been enemies at the time too. My motivation would be less about tribute and more of historical enlivening in that case, but the offer is still good.

I am limited to 77 counters on a DIY sheet. These would be WW2 based formations of regiment or battalion size A ww2 linage would be good. I would like to make the countersheets available for all, but won't be doing it without the subject's permission. I also will not use any requestor's name/handle without their permission. I cannot guaranty a successful outcome, only promise an honest attempt. If you would like a counterset of your alma mater, let me know.
PANISTA, goosebrown, Capt. Chaos And 5 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-08-2022, 12:59 PM,
RE: A swelling impulse
Your impulse is most impressive and appreciated.

The 23rd US Infantry Rgt and 40th US Armor Rgt counter-sheets look really good.  I had not encountered M4 Jumbos or M24 Chaffees.
Reconquista, sagunto, ACav And 9 others like this post
01-08-2022, 01:05 PM,
Thank you. Custom counter sets are not very difficult. I am largely confined to a 77 piece sheet.

I am stilling willing to recreate other vets units in a WW2 guise.
Miguelibal and treadasaurusrex like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-15-2022, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 08:25 AM by Greyfox.)
I can't see the ones you made.  I know Peter pulled them to the resources link, but it takes me to BOX, and you can't download from there without first typing in your own password.  23rd Infantry is a storied unit that fought at Chipyong-ni.  If you read "This Kind of War" it has a great description of the action.

Mike
01-15-2022, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 01:05 PM by plloyd1010.)
I found the problem and fixed it.
01-18-2022, 05:38 AM,
On of our members was with 505th Infantry Regiment, the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne in WW2. He has graciously allowed his alma mater to be shared with us. Included in the counterset is a tribute counter to Gen James Gavin, who (as a colonel) may join his unit on their first jumps into Sicily and Italy.
PANISTA, ACav, Sonora And 9 others like this post
01-18-2022, 06:28 AM,
Is it time for the 506th Parachute Infantry (the Band of Brothers) as well?
sagunto, OldPueblo, ACav And 9 others like this post
01-18-2022, 06:37 AM,
Richard Winters hasn't sent me a PM/email yet. I'll be on it as soon as he does. Winking
treadasaurusrex, Miguelibal, goosebrown like this post
01-18-2022, 06:46 AM,
(01-18-2022, 06:37 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Richard Winters hasn't sent me a PM/email yet. I'll be on it as soon as he does. Winking

Maybe one for either the 102nd CAV (Ed Lehner -- my great uncle's -- outfit) or the 14th CAV (Leo Otero -- my uncle's -- outfit) of Battle of the Bulge Fame?
Tankodactyl, Sonora, Reconquista And 10 others like this post
03-23-2023, 01:42 PM,
Dick Winters passed on Jan 11, 2022..... I rather doubt you will hear from him in this plane of existence. (Like my Father and many like him, the WW II vets are leaving us all behind.)

GG