Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slopes and Movement
10-13-2021, 06:27 AM,
Slopes and Movement
5.2 states: "Units moving along a road (including bridges) pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex."

The TEC says slopes are +0 for Foot, +2 for Motorized, and +1 for Mech.

Since roads negate other terrain costs for movement, I assume it it is correct that that the slope cost is not added when using road movement.

5.2 furthermore states: "Roads do not extend into/through town/village hexes regardless of the board artwork, and so a unit entering a town always pays the town/village movement cost." 

Thus when moving though a town hex that has a slope line from a road when using road movement, a truck unit would pay 3 to enter that hex.  Is that correct?
10-13-2021, 12:11 PM,
RE: Slopes and Movement
I always used the slope addition while on roads. It doesn't seem unreasonable. Putting a truck or tank on a upward slope is likely to slow it down. What bugs me is that the slope add, as written, also applies to going downhill.

You "furthermore" point led to the VC question a few weeks ago. Yes, a truck moving into a town hex with a slope line, from a different elevation, would pay 3 MPs.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-14-2021, 12:24 AM,
(10-13-2021, 12:11 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I always used the slope addition while on roads. It doesn't seem unreasonable. Putting a truck or tank on a upward slope is likely to slow it down. What bugs me is that the slope add, as written, also applies to going downhill.

You "furthermore" point led to the VC question a few weeks ago. Yes, a truck moving into a town hex with a slope line, from a different elevation, would pay 3 MPs.

Although I have played this way too, the road rule (5.2) does say to "pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex."  So then, what is the slope cost?  is it "cost of terrain in the hex?" 

Is this a hole in the rules?
10-14-2021, 12:27 AM,
I've posted the first post of this thread both on CSW and the FB PG pages.  Let's see what others come up with.
10-14-2021, 01:08 AM,
(10-14-2021, 12:24 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Although I have played this way too, the road rule (5.2) does say to "pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex."  So then, what is the slope cost?  is it "cost of terrain in the hex?" 

Is this a hole in the rules?
Sort of a hole. I would describe the issue as poor definition. I would describe slope effects as in addition to the terrain. So whether you are driving up a slope in the woods or up a slope on a road, you are still going up a slope. Roads only negate the base terrain.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-14-2021, 04:56 AM,
Hmm, trucks do seem to slow down on roads going upslope. But I assure you, there is negligible slowing of tracked vehicles going up slope on paved roads, or trails for that matter. Same with infantrymen marching up hill on a road or track.

IMHO, paved roads should negate all other terrain costs as long as one's vehicle or foot & cavalry begins an activation on the road.
10-14-2021, 05:49 AM,
(10-14-2021, 04:56 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Hmm, trucks do seem to slow down on roads going upslope. But I assure you, there is negligible slowing of tracked vehicles going up slope on paved roads, or trails for that matter. Same with infantrymen marching up hill on a road or track.

IMHO, paved roads should negate all other terrain costs as long as one's vehicle or foot & cavalry begins an activation on the road.

I tend to agree. It seems strange to consider a slope to NOT be terrain. 

Putting that aside and looking at the game impact though, infantrymen walking upslope on a road can move faster than riding upslope on a road in a truck. Seems a bit silly doesn't it? Seems trucks should always be faster on a road than foot, SSR exceptions aside.  Dodgy
10-14-2021, 07:23 AM,
I've asked these questions also on FB and CSW.  On CSW I asked this:
--------
 Slopes and Movement

5.2 states: "Units moving along a road (including bridges) pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex."

The TEC says slopes are +0 for Foot, +2 for Motorized, and +1 for Mech.

Since roads negate other terrain costs for movement, I assume it it is correct that that the slope cost is not added when using road movement.

5.2 furthermore states: "Roads do not extend into/through town/village hexes regardless of the board artwork, and so a unit entering a town always pays the town/village movement cost."

Thus when moving though a town hex that has a slope line from a road when using road movement, a truck unit would pay 3 to enter that hex. Is that correct?
---------
Daniel Rouleau responded with this:

Yes and Yes.

Unofficial answers of course but these were my interpretations of the rules when developing scenarios.

In practical terms, this affects very few scenarios. One side needs to move through or reinforce such a town hex before it is assaulted for the effect to be potentially felt.
---------

So he was a scenario developer so this is close to an official answer although he says "unofficial."

So then to me he is saying play the rules as written in that you do not add the slope cost when moving by road but you do add the slope cost when moving in town.

This is how I see the rules as written.
10-14-2021, 08:02 AM,
Interesting...
If we assume a constant slope over the entire hex, it gets worse if you shorten the slope, you get a 5.7º angle across the hex. That makes a 10% grade. I live in Colorado and see what happens to trucks (not the semis) on a 7% grade. Hmmmm... Dodgy
10-14-2021, 01:00 PM,
Well, this terrain dependent, but I would think there is difference between hills and mountains.   Is suspect that most PG terrain would use hills as opposed to mountains.  A scenario designer could use special rules if severe terrain is required.