Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road control and towns
09-15-2021, 02:00 AM,
RE: Road control and towns
(09-15-2021, 01:49 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 01:39 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: Is your point #1 from the rules somewhere? As I can't place where my interpretation came from, I'm interested in where yours came from.

I believe it was in the forums. It might have been in a Consim forum, but I think it was here too. The answer came from Matt War, which made it somewhat official. A couple other designer, developers also made similar comments.

Are you suggesting different movement conditions between town hexes?

I have always played it as a unit moving between town hexes that did not show a road connection as paying the town movement cost and not being considered road movement for any other purpose. 

I'm guessing I just pulled that out of my head at some point years ago.

Town hexes not showing a road connection on the artwork are few and far between though. It shouldn't make much of a difference in my games to change over if your way is the norm, which it seems to be.
09-15-2021, 02:19 AM,
Getting back to the question: Does that change how the road control objective or victory condition works in the game?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-15-2021, 02:52 AM,
If all towns are being treated essentially as roads, instead of just those which depict the road on the artwork, then I would think controlling any path through the town that connects to the roads leading to it would count.
09-15-2021, 03:18 AM,
How are town hexes essentially roads if roads " do not extend into/through town/village hexes"? Are not roads roads only "roads" when movement is from one connecting road hex to another. A town hex is a town hex regardless if it is entered from a connected road, or a woods or anything else.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-15-2021, 03:28 AM,
(09-15-2021, 03:18 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: How are town hexes essentially roads if roads " do not extend into/through town/village hexes"? Are not roads roads only "roads" when movement is from one connecting road hex to another. A town hex is a town hex regardless if it is entered from a connected road, or a woods or anything else.

I must not be understanding you.

I thought you were saying you were treating all town hexes as roads for movement because they were connected via internal roads regardless of whether or not a road is depicted in the artwork.

My understanding before this discussion began was that roads/road movement were only applicable when moving along the road from one connecting road hex into another, including those roads depicted in towns/woods/hills/etc.
09-15-2021, 04:01 AM,
(09-15-2021, 03:28 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: I thought you were saying you were treating all town hexes as roads for movement because they were connected via internal roads regardless of whether or not a road is depicted in the artwork.

No, that isn't the question, and  no I don't treat them as roads for movement, except for when moving from a town hex to a road connected to said town hex. For example: I would consider, on board 2, moving from hex 0408 to 0309 to be rad movement, but hex 0308 to 0309 would not be.

(09-15-2021, 03:28 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: My understanding before this discussion began was that roads/road movement were only applicable when moving along the road from one connecting road hex into another, including those roads depicted in towns/woods/hills/etc.

Artwork depicted in towns/villages are not roads. They are towns.

The question was, should a path through the town be considered part of the road control objective? The rules imply it isn't, the objective statement may differentiate, logic (as opposed to game situations) suggests they should. The rules as written say the road isn't there. Next game session is Thursday evening MDT.
09-15-2021, 04:08 AM,
(09-15-2021, 04:01 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 03:28 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: I thought you were saying you were treating all town hexes as roads for movement because they were connected via internal roads regardless of whether or not a road is depicted in the artwork.

No, that isn't the question, and  no I don't treat them as roads for movement, except for when moving from a town hex to a road connected to said town hex. For example: I would consider, on board 2, moving from hex 0408 to 0309 to be rad movement, but hex 0308 to 0309 would not be.

(09-15-2021, 03:28 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: My understanding before this discussion began was that roads/road movement were only applicable when moving along the road from one connecting road hex into another, including those roads depicted in towns/woods/hills/etc.

Artwork depicted in towns/villages are not roads. They are towns.

The question was, should a path through the town be considered part of the road control objective? The rules imply it isn't, the objective statement may differentiate, logic (as opposed to game situations) suggests they should. The rules as written say the road isn't there. Next game session is Thursday evening MDT.

The line about roads not existing in towns seems to be one of the nuanced changes in 4th edition. Third edition didnt include it, and even the annotation in third is discussing the movement rate when moving along roads in towns, pointing to them existing. 

Based on that, if you are playing 4th edition I guess you wouldnt need to control any of the town? In 3rd edition you would?
09-15-2021, 04:23 AM,
Yes, the 3rd edition is a bit spars on that point. I suspect that is why this not was added to to the annotated rules:
 Roads in town hexesUnits moving along roads in a town hex pay the town movement cost. Moving into a town hex not along a road uses the town hex movement cost.

I suppose that is why we had a forum discussion so many years ago, which I can't find anymore.
09-15-2021, 04:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2021, 04:34 AM by triangular_cube.)
(09-15-2021, 04:23 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Yes, the 3rd edition is a bit spars on that point. I suspect that is why this not was added to to the annotated rules:
 Roads in town hexesUnits moving along roads in a town hex pay the town movement cost. Moving into a town hex not along a road uses the town hex movement cost.

I suppose that is why we had a forum discussion so many years ago, which I can't find anymore.

Well I think we sorted out my confusion but that doesnt really help answer your question.  Angel 

Personally, I would fall back on the edition of rules that the module you are playing was published with as it does seem to be a key point of balance. 

I view the annotation in third as clarification that the roads do exist in 3rd edition, if units are said to be moving along them, even if they dont impact movement rate. But I think we have said just about everything one could say on that.
09-16-2021, 10:35 AM,
So Peter.....
Does the final interpretation come down to:
A) Roads are Roads and Towns are Towns....
thus, the ROAD based VC do not count in the Town (the road effectively disappears as it passes through the town)...

OR

B) There must be a contiguous path THROUGH the town leading from the Road and out to a Road hexes .....that path must be German controlled on the last turn...