Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Question on Kokoda Campaign Counters
07-24-2021, 04:29 AM,
Another Question on Kokoda Campaign Counters
I sent an email to customerservice@avalanchepress yesterday on this subject and received a notification that the email could not be delivered because the address was over quota, so I'm hoping that someone here can provide me advice on the counter mix in The Kokoda Campaign boxed game.

Here is the email that I sent yesterday:
 "I recently purchased the boxed Kokoda Campaign game, new in shrink wrap, from Noble Knight Games.  This is my first Panzer Grenadier game, and it looks great, both for game play and as a comprehensive reference source for studying this campaign!

The game components are all in excellent condition, and I have a question on the counter mix.  I believe that I have the proper total of counters, all of those that I have are unpunched in the counter sheets, but I just wanted to make sure that none are missing, because the box lid count shows 446 counters, and the unpunched counter sheets total to 428.

When going to the AP website, clicking Panzer Grenadier, then clicking The Kokoda Campaign, the text that appears shows 428 playing pieces that corresponds with the total in the counter sheets that were in the box.

The counter sheets that I have include:

Panzer Grenadier Markers:  15x11=165 counters
Guadalcanal Countersheet 1:  15x11=165 counters
Afrika Korps Countersheet 4 Australia:  7x11=77 Counters
Unnamed (8 x Aus HMG platoons, 4 x Hill, etc.):  7x3=21 Counters

Total Counters:  428

I would be most grateful if you could advise me if these are the complete sets of counters for the boxed game, and if not, how may I obtain any additional counters.

Thank you very much."

I have visited the Kokoda Campaign pages here on PG-HQ and these show 428 counters, so I think I have the full set, but if someone could confirm that I would be most grateful.

Thank you very much.

All the best,
Jan
07-24-2021, 04:52 AM,
RE: Another Question on Kokoda Campaign Counters
That sounds about right. The game's counterset came from Afrika Korps and Guadalcanal. Previously, in Kokoda Trail, you needed to own both games, and to play Airfield No. 4, battle of the Bulge. You won't need the hill counters, but don't loose them either.
jhope likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-24-2021, 02:44 PM,
My first edition copy came with 19 USMC platoons, extras I found on one of the countersheets. I didn't see any of them listed in your inventory. If all you lack are Marines then you should be golden. They aren't needed in Kokoda Campaign.

Peace. Michael
jhope likes this post
07-24-2021, 11:04 PM,
Michael, I presume your image looked like this:
[Image: pic119996.jpg]

I am not sure how the Marines could be removed and have the last 2 SNLF leaders remain.
BtW: Those Type 95 tanks in the Milne Bay battles are really SNLF. The IJN and IJA didn't work together. There just wasn't a counter for them.
jhope likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-25-2021, 11:44 AM,
(07-24-2021, 11:04 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Michael, I presume your image looked like this:

<SNIP>  No point in wasting the space.

I am not sure how the Marines could be removed and have the last 2 SNLF leaders remain.
BtW: Those Type 95 tanks in the Milne Bay battles are really SNLF. The IJN and IJA didn't work together. There just wasn't a counter for them.

Peter, yes indeed, that was the countersheet that I received with my copy.

Peace. Michael
07-25-2021, 04:49 PM,
I checked my notes and 428 is what I have.  Four sheets, with 2x165, 1x77 and 1x21. 

Most likely the 446 was a miscount, corrected after the box was printed. 

The box covers are usually ordered early in the process, before the scenarios are finished.  It's also possible that the original idea was to include a few more pieces (perhaps more Marines or some Japanese SNLF from a different Guadalcanal sheet), but the scenarios didn't require them and it's extra work for the staff to cut up the partial countersheets for inclusion.
07-26-2021, 03:18 AM,
Thank you very much everyone for confirming that I have the proper mix of counters.  My copy of the game included Guadalcanal Countersheet 1 as shown in Peter's post including the Marines.  I was very happy to have the Marines even though they aren't in any of the scenarios.  As I have learned over the years, including many years involved in managing amphibious shipbuilding programs, the more Marines the better!