Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irregular Map Configurations
01-25-2021, 01:26 PM,
Irregular Map Configurations
I cant seem to get Vassal to load irregular map configurations correctly. I'm not sure if this is a design limitation or if I am doing something wrong. Is there a way to load up, for example, Battle of the Bulge # 19 where maps are configured;

XMM
MMX 

where M= a map and X=no map?

Entering that in seems to always result in vassal dropping the first column, presumably because the first row, first column is empty. 

There are all kinds of other odd configurations in BotB, but that more or less was dropped from later modules. 

I guess if all else fails and i can load maps in the unused slots and then mark them as out of play on the board.
01-25-2021, 01:28 PM,
RE: Irregular Map Configurations
I never saw that happen. I'll take a look.
triangular_cube likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-26-2021, 12:40 AM,
So I see. Maps in empty matrix spaces get moved up or left. I was am working on a version of the base module. I will add some place holders to the list. They will be in the March update.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-26-2021, 04:15 AM,
Thanks again
01-26-2021, 10:19 AM,
Change in plan. I have uploaded a map extension called X-space. I have made part of the Heroes of the Soviet Union and Battle of the Bulge game packages.

If you find any other games that need blank map space, just let me know.
01-26-2021, 11:05 AM,
(01-26-2021, 10:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Change in plan. I have uploaded a map extension called X-space. I have made part of the Heroes of the Soviet Union and Battle of the Bulge game packages.

Thanks, it seems to be working. 

I'll let you know if i come across anymore oddballs to package the extension with.
01-27-2021, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 05:33 AM by patman.)
I was looking at Spearhead Division the other night and noticed a few scenarios with irregular map layouts of the kind referred to here.

Just went back to check, yes, there are at least 2 scenarios with these, so you'll want to have your new extension included for Spearhead too.
triangular_cube likes this post
05-20-2021, 08:43 AM,
(01-26-2021, 10:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Change in plan. I have uploaded a map extension called X-space. I have made part of the Heroes of the Soviet Union and Battle of the Bulge game packages.

Afrika Korps Scenario 10 seems to be its own unique oddball. Not sure if anything other than a custom map image can support this style of configuration.
05-20-2021, 09:32 AM,
I needed some of those for Black SS too. I don;t know what to do about that scenario.
05-23-2021, 03:14 PM,
(05-20-2021, 09:32 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I needed some of those for Black SS too. I don;t know what to do about that scenario.

The only thing I can think of (and I have a very limited knowledge of how VASSAL actually works aside from UI) is to have the maps together with the required offset in the same image. 

But that would likely be more trouble than its worth for one scenario that, lets be honest, I'm going to be the only one playing in VASSAL. 

Might have to carve out enough physical space to house this one IRL once I get back to AK.