Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese armor needed.
01-10-2021, 04:19 AM,
RE: Japanese armor needed.
Photo paper much sharper.....so I got to like that...

Question---did they have the optics to fire 3 kilometers Direct fire?
01-10-2021, 05:16 AM,
Bottom row is much better color coverage.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-10-2021, 05:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 05:50 AM by plloyd1010.)
(01-10-2021, 03:48 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Peter, again thanks you for the counter, you do fantastic work. AP should pay you to do their counters.

Thanks Jay. I occasionally wish I could be paid for my counters. Still it is mostly fan enthusiasm.

I still think the Ho-Ni counters should be like this.

The Ho-Ni I is armed with an artillery piece. The gun was similar to the French (indeed a copy) 75mm/97. The Japanese copy performance as a tank gun was worse than the 75mmL32 found in the Grant/Lee tanks.

The Ho-Ni III has an actual tank gun. The 75mm tank-gun was intended to be a match for the Shermans, which were being encountered in increasing numbers. The gun under performed when compared to the U.S. 75mmL38.

Anyway, your counters look good.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-10-2021, 06:21 AM,
Going off of memory here but I remember reading that the Japanese were starting to use a special Armor piercing ammo for their 75mm guns in Burma and the Philippines, rare in quantities. I don’t know if a official survey was ever done on it.
01-10-2021, 06:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 06:30 AM by plloyd1010.)
It must have been very rare. They might have stared working tungsten from Korea, but I don't recall much being available until after the Korean War. I also don't recall them having developed an APCR round.

By the time of Saipan, Philippines and the Burma offensive, the Type 3 75mm tank gun has become the standard vehicle gun. It's penetration runs 8mm to 10mm behind the Sherman's gun, despite having a higher muzzle velocity.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-10-2021, 07:04 AM,
I guess I'll just leave it up to the gamer to decide.  Cool
01-10-2021, 07:17 AM,
Might as well give everyone a scenario to use these counters on.
Shad likes this post

Attached Files
.docx   From The Ruins of Fort Stotsenburg.docx (Size: 128.08 KB / Downloads: 11)
01-10-2021, 11:53 AM,
Here is a version with my counter. There are construction instructions for the counters. Not much different.

Attached Files
.pdf   From The Ruins of Fort Stotsenburg alt.pdf (Size: 141.76 KB / Downloads: 21)
01-10-2021, 02:10 PM,
Nice Peter!

Here is my AAR from it:

Luzon: From The Ruins of Fort Stotsenburg

Ok, since I made a scenario for the new counters I had to play the scenario as well. The Americans have to be the aggressor as they have to eliminate more Japanese steps than the Japanese have to eliminate but they also have to be careful with their approach as the Japanese have some units with some bite to them.

The Americans advanced into the teeth of the Japanese first line of defense and paid a price, even the half step of M7 got blasted but after that the Infantry numbers closed with the Japanese dug-in units and the off-board artillery opened some holes as well. On turn four the American Tank Destroyers reinforcements arrived and Self-Propelled guns also arrived to strength the Americans attack. The Japanese Type 4 Ho-Ro was actually useful in eliminating an American Infantry step and demoralizing another but in the end the Americans had eliminated 18 Japanese steps and 3 leaders while losing 7 steps and 1 leader giving the Americans the victory. It was close until the end, as if they had lost two more steps it would have been a draw.

A fun scenario to tryout some new units. Of course I had to adjust the scenario somewhat, using different maps than originally planned but no big deal. I hope other gamers get to try this one out.
01-10-2021, 11:17 PM,
Good. A near-run fight is always the most interesting, and most fun to play.

What sort of adjustments and map changes did you need to make?