Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
column shift against SP artillery for firing?
01-09-2021, 02:08 AM,
column shift against SP artillery for firing?
Hi all,

I know that standard artillery pieces are subject to a +1 column shift when being fired on by Bombardment and +2 when direct fire.   Does this also apply to SP artillery with or without armor values?

The situation: We are currently playing Teploe Tango (Kursk BT #15) and the Soviet Guards BM-8 is wheeled artillery and the German piece (SK251/2 i believe) is a Self-propelled Mortar.  are these units susceptible to the column shifts or not?  I think the mortar is considered Self-propelled artillery but has an armor value of 0.  The BM-8 has no armor value and is considered -1 for AT fire.  

The charts say "Artillery" and "Mortar" so I am assuming that they do and we played it that way but would like confirmation.

Thanks!
01-09-2021, 02:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2021, 09:35 AM by plloyd1010.)
RE: column shift against SP artillery for firing?
No, I don't think so. I've played SPA, SPAA, SPM, ect. without column shifts in shared or solo play. I always saw the fire vs. artillery/guns as specific to the weapon units, not the mounted variations.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-09-2021, 09:23 AM,
Peter Do you mean "without" column shifts?....you seem to say yes to both in the above.

I understand the column shifts to reflect the vulnerability of the NON-MOUNTED stationary equipment....and the size and lack of protection
offered to the crews...that's why there are column shifts....

A vehicle which has no armor value is like a truck....it has a -1 to AT....other then that it's a truck....
A vehicle which has a '0' armor value is an AFV....it is invulnerable to DF save for Assault........it is open-top AFV for bombardment....
I don't think either 'vehicle mounted gun' would be subject to the Art/mortar column shifts (is a wespe or hummel? I think not....)

??
01-09-2021, 09:37 AM,
Oops, my bad. Been fixed.

I meant without shifts for vehicle mounted weapons.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-09-2021, 12:10 PM,
I also play there are no column shifts for self-propelled weapons. Thanks, Mike
Michael Murphy likes this post
01-10-2021, 07:44 AM,
I play that anything with an armor value of 0 or greater is unaffected by bombardment fire, except as specified for #/X results - e.g. required morale checks.

Peace. Michael
01-12-2021, 12:16 AM,
Thanks for the responses - the thought that the artillery/mortar shifts are there due to the immobility of the units makes sense.  Also the BM-8 being considered a truck when being attacked makes sense as well and is therefore susceptible to direct fire damage.