Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leaders assisting recovery and related unit activations
11-25-2020, 02:20 AM,
leaders assisting recovery and related unit activations
I think I was getting something incorrect.  I'd like confirmation my interpretation is accurate now.

I had been thinking disrupted leaders could assist recovery because they can at least activate units in their own hex.  6.52 and 14.4 imply though that only undisrupted leaders may assist a recovery.  It is legit though if the leader recovers first in the same activation.  Demoralized leaders may never assist recovery, even if they bump up to disrupted status first.

On a related matter, when a leader is used for recovery assistance, is it really true that the leader can't do *anything* else?  That's what it says in 14.4, but that contradicts 3.13.  I thought the normal chain of activations can occur.  The leader can't assist any fire, but he could activate for fire, and activate others to move without using it for recovery rolls.  If I'm mistaken, can the leader activate adjacent units for recovery as well, even though he can't assist them?
11-25-2020, 03:14 AM,
RE: leaders assisting recovery and related unit activations
t1M0t8yk Wrote:I had been thinking disrupted leaders could assist recovery because they can at least activate units in their own hex.  6.52 and 14.4 imply though that only undisrupted leaders may assist a recovery.  It is legit though if the leader recovers first in the same activation.  Demoralized leaders may never assist recovery, even if they bump up to disrupted status first.
I've played as though disrupted leaders function as good order leaders, but only in their own hex. This means that they may assist in recovery and enhance a unit's firepower, in said leader's hex.

t1M0t8yk Wrote:On a related matter, when a leader is used for recovery assistance, is it really true that the leader can't do *anything* else?  That's what it says in 14.4, but that contradicts 3.13.  I thought the normal chain of activations can occur.  The leader can't assist any fire, but he could activate for fire, and activate others to move without using it for recovery rolls.  If I'm mistaken, can the leader activate adjacent units for recovery as well, even though he can't assist them?
Yes, thus a leader assisting in recovery may not attempt to recover themselves. (I have a house rule they may move, but only into the hex of the unit they are assisting.) I don't think the rule prevents them from activating other units to fire, but the leader would not be able to provide firepower enhancement or form a fire team.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-25-2020, 07:42 AM,
Not sure how you interpret that to say a leader assisting in recovery may not attempt to recover themselves.

14.4 states:

It is generally best to attempt recovery for disrupted leaders first, and then units, because a leader that recovers may then assist unit recovery in the same activation. Demoralized leaders do not have this option and use their whole activation to attempt to recover themselves.

The restriction that a leader can't do anything else means that if they aid in recovery they can't move, add their firepower modifier, or enter an assault. It doesn't prevent them from activating units.

Units attempting recovery and leaders assisting them must be activated and may conduct no other action that turn.
garbare83686 and Michael Murphy like this post
11-25-2020, 08:24 AM,
(11-25-2020, 07:42 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: It is generally best to attempt recovery for disrupted leaders first, and then units, because a leader that recovers may then assist unit recovery in the same activation.
I stand, or sit at the moment, corrected.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking