Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloading core modules
10-22-2020, 07:22 PM,
Downloading core modules
I have purchased a few PG games but lack the time and space to play them without Vassal. In particular, Cassino '44 and Parachutes Over Crete. I'm an experienced Vassal user (ASL, OCS games etc); but I'm struggling with the PG system. Every time I try and download the Minefields and the Extensions core modules, it takes me to a request as to which online programme I wish to use to open them and then any attempt to do so fails. How do I get them saved and opened into the Vassal module so I can get on with using Vassal for PG?
10-23-2020, 01:54 AM,
RE: Downloading core modules
The first thing to understand is that PG Über is a modular in implementation of the PG game system. Modular is not to be confused with V"Vassal module". There is only one Vassal "module" used in this implementation. That is:
  • Core_Data--Panzer_Grenadier_Über_Base_Module.vmod
The base module has no maps and no counters (like units and leaders). Everything needed to play any game is a combination of extensions, managed by the base module. The current version base module is 2.6.

There are some documentation files to help people in difficult spots with PG Über, such as the turn track:
  •        Core_Data--PG_Über_User_Guide.pdf
  •        Core_Data--PG_Über_Counter_Menu_Reference.pdf
The documents can be read with any PDF reader. I like Foxit, but there are lots of others out there. Just save the documentation somewhere convenient.

There is one universal extension in the Core Files:
  •        Core_Data--Minefields.vmdx
Download this file and save it in a convenient location. After you have Panzer Grenadier - Über in the opening window of Vassal, right-click on the entry. Choose Add Extension from the pop-up menu. Navigate to where you saved  Core_Data--Minefields.vmdx and select it. This will create a directory under where you have the base module, and move Core_Data--Minefields.vmdx into it.

Any extensions moved to the extension directory will be loaded when PG Über is opened in the future. Which extensions are loaded will determine which games you can play. You can view which extension you have loaded when Vassal starts by clicking the flag beside the base module name. Un-needed extensions may be disabled by right-clicking on the extension name and choosing Deactivate. Activating extensions id similar, just choose Activate. You cannot activate or deactivate extensions during a  game. Keep in mind that you do not open extensions from your browser, just save them.

This is going to be important beause when you download a game package, it comes as a zip file with several extension. For example, this is what comes with the Afrika Korps game package:
  • Aircraft--British_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Aircraft--German_Luftwaffe_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Aircraft--Italian_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Leaders--Australian_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Leaders--British_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Leaders--German_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Leaders--Italian_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Maps--D1-D3_Afrika_Korps.vmdx
  • Order_of_Battle--Australian_Army_1939-43.vmdx
  • Order_of_Battle--British_Army_1939-42.vmdx
  • Order_of_Battle--German_Afrika_Korps_1941-42.vmdx
  • Order_of_Battle--Italian_Army_1940-42.vmdx
As game accumulate, extension management will become important. Keep in mind that different game packages have duplicates of extensions. Only one copy of an extension is needed.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-23-2020, 03:39 AM,
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I am familiar with extension management as VASL is very similar in that you need to download all of the maps and various other extensions. However, my problem with the Minefields.vmdx extension is that it won't open and therefore I can't save it into an extensions folder. Every time I download it and get offered the option to Open File, I click on it and it takes me to a small window asking me: "How do you want to open this .vdmx file?" I tried PDF and other apps, but can't get it opened. Without being able to open it, I can't save it. With the VASL extensions, they come as a Zip folder which we need to unzip and save to Extensions; this one won't allow me to.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I'm a little stumped on this.
10-23-2020, 04:14 AM,
When I click the download link for minefields, I get:

I presume you have something similar. Choose the save option. If you don't have that, you might try Firefox as a browser, but I have had the save option with Internet Explorer and Edge.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-23-2020, 08:26 AM,
I have managed to get them downloaded now using Firefox. Thanks for all your help with this; it is greatly appreciated.
10-23-2020, 10:21 AM,
(10-23-2020, 08:26 AM)IvorG Wrote: I have managed to get them downloaded now using Firefox. Thanks for all your help with this; it is greatly appreciated.

Ivor...we need fresh meat/////// I mean new opponents....

Welcome Smile
10-24-2020, 10:47 PM,
(10-23-2020, 10:21 AM)cjsiam Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 08:26 AM)IvorG Wrote: I have managed to get them downloaded now using Firefox. Thanks for all your help with this; it is greatly appreciated.

Ivor...we need fresh meat/////// I mean new opponents....

Welcome Smile
Thank you, cjsiam. Been itching to get into PG but need Vassal to make it feasible. I like the campaign games which I why I purchased Parachutes Over Crete and Cassino '44, but they do come wit space demands (and time). Vassal is a godsend for us gamers! Also quite keen to get hold of the Ethiopia module. Anyway, 1 x self-study scenario done and busy with number two; after which I hope I can access the modules I want to get to grips with... then the fresh meat will be ready to be served  Winking
04-22-2022, 05:54 AM,
This thread was just what I was looking for. Not so much a noob to PG, but Vassal is a learning process for me, and I have the Uber working but was having trouble with how to load those extensions. Now I can try this process and hopefully be working on the first training scenario this weekend. I figured the info was here somewhere so started reading back through the earlier threads. Thanks again to all who put this together and who make the time to help get the rest of us up to speed.
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."
04-22-2022, 06:34 AM,
First, how you downloaded one of the extensions? If not, you should get the Mentoring Extension and/or the Minefields Extension. Just save them somewhere handy.

Open Vassal and right-click on PG Über. Choose Add extension from the drop-down menu. Navigate to one of the extensions you downloaded, select it and click OK.
This will create a directory under where you have your Über file. You can keep adding extensions like you did the first one. You can also close Vassal at this point and copy whatever extensions you wish into the extension directory that was created earlier.

Now when you start vassal, all the extension in your PG Über will appear if you click the flag beside the PG Über module in the Vassal list. The extension will load when PG Über is started.
thomaso827 likes this post
04-23-2022, 01:07 AM,
(04-22-2022, 06:34 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: First, how you downloaded one of the extensions? If not, you should get the Mentoring Extension and/or the Minefields Extension. Just save them somewhere handy.

Open Vassal and right-click on PG Über. Choose Add extension from the drop-down menu. Navigate to one of the extensions you downloaded, select it and click OK.
This will create a directory under where you have your Über file. You can keep adding extensions like you did the first one. You can also close Vassal at this point and copy whatever extensions you wish into the extension directory that was created earlier.

Now when you start vassal, all the extension in your PG Über will appear if you click the flag beside the PG Über module in the Vassal list. The extension will load when PG Über is started.
All went well. I'd had the material all downloaded and saved, just didn't know about the right click thing. Looked really good and I was able to do an initial setup on scenario 1, so I'll hit it hard this weekend and try to get my first game in. Thanks again.
treadasaurusrex and cjsiam like this post
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."