Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cassino Campaign
09-17-2020, 05:24 AM,
Cassino Campaign
We got finally the Cassino campaign blog up and running, please check it out. The first post is usual background stuff, but the first battle day is already played so more content is on the way.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/10435
09-17-2020, 07:14 AM,
RE: Cassino Campaign
After reading your blog preface, I was wondering which of your club are academy graduates. For those who are not, might I suggest that they register on the self-play track. With 2 complete logfiles they would graduate. We would just need information from you on who is involved with each logfile submission.

I was also wondering if you are using Rikku's campaign addon. It looks pretty good and I think he prototyped a Cassino version.

I am actually rooting against you, because I have a soft spot for Wojtek.

Sic'em Wojtek!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-19-2020, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2020, 10:36 PM by RikuM.)
Me and Mikko did go through the academy and trained the others. I aid in planning and play on German side, while also providing adminstrative functions like mod development and file (Vassal, map graphics, unit roster etc.) creating and hosting. Mikko is in overall command of the Allied, with Johannes and RSiren helping - or at least participating  Wink - in planning.

I think the first day and night took 30-40 hours of tactical resolution, i.e. Vassal playing. There was a total of 18 sessions, as we played either early or late in the evening, sometimes managing only one round. We could not always use voice comms, but Vassal chat only play was manageable, if a bit slower. The playing ratios were approx. 80/20 me/Niinivaara and 50/50 Mikko/Johannes. A couple of times the other members were watching, either in Vassal or via Discord stream. Those times there was the usual amount of "encouragement" and trash talk. Regarding self-study, there are logs of some sessions, but I do not know if they would of use.

The home-made extension I asked and received advice for proved invaluable from the start, as there were five attacking battalions and three defending battalions. Without formation colors, telling the units apart would have been a nightmare, and it is nice to refer to "red mountain lieutenant" and "green Polish battalion".

I do not much want to spoil Niinivaara's upcoming post, but the Poles led the attack in daylight, in the mountains, through the minefields. And part of them were also activated at night, by "friendly" artillery and Gebirgstruppen counterattack. Allied command has no pity: on the second day, what is left of them are to attack again in the mountains, though now in the second wave. So Wojtek is about to have another serving of Grüne Teufel mit Edelweiss.
10-06-2020, 06:32 AM,
Finally some progress. We've been slow to report (and to play)  Big Grin .
10-06-2020, 07:39 AM,
Cool! Cool
Go get'em.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-13-2020, 05:02 AM,
The battle rages on!
03-29-2021, 06:21 AM,
Finally some progress! 1/4 of the campaign is now played, so I hope to see this finished before my 50th birthday.  Big Grin
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
04-01-2021, 02:27 AM,
You kids have energy!
Niinivaara likes this post
05-08-2021, 09:07 AM,
Things are warming up in Cassino!

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/11762...-monastery