Poll: Should units be subject to the free shot when driven out of cave, to another (connected) cave?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
0%
0 0%
Yes, as a normal free shot
12.50%
1 12.50%
Yes, but the -2 cave modifier applies
87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Connected Caves
09-12-2020, 05:44 AM,
Connected Caves
Jay created a interesting rule about caves in adjacent hexes being connected. I, of course, saw how the concept could lead to complications. After a bit of back and forth, there is this much agreement:
Quote:Cave Movement
Japanese units may move between adjacent caves using tunnels. This costs two movement points, and moving units are not subject to Opportunity Fire.
If Japanese units are driven from a cave as a result of assault combat, they may retreat to an adjacent cave. Units driven out of a connected cave may only retreat to caves occupied by their own forces or caves in empty hexes. They may not retreat to unoccupied caves in hexes with enemy combat units present.
What hasn't been agreed upon is if unit (Japanese) retreating to another cave would be subject to the free-shot.
  • Jay says no.
  • I say yes, but due to lack of exposure, the -2 cave modifier is still applicable.
So I created a poll. I'll place my vote, Jay will place his, hopefully a few others. Perhaps a consensus will emerge.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-12-2020, 08:02 AM,
RE: Connected Caves
The process of disengaging and retreating under fire is what is being simulated in the free shot.
Anytime a unit leaves engagement with an enemy who can actively shot at him he exposes himself.

I wonder, now that I think about it---- in a woods hex (for example)--- a unit disengaging gives the
opponent a free-shot....but, as I recall (and checked) no negative combat modifiers apply---thus the "Assaulting into woods" would 
not apply---the retreating unit does NOT get Terrain advantage....

So why would he in a cave either?
I actually already voted to apply the -2...but....according to rules "outside of cave" ... negative modifiers DO NOT APPLY.

The thing about CAVES vs. other places---CAVES will have limited mobility options---and it's easier to prevent the movement
(I conjecture) then it would be retreating in a forest....so---this would mitigate to NOT applying the negative column shift.

I may need to think about changing my vote.....RAW would be no column shift, but they could retreat....