Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Terrain key?
07-25-2020, 04:34 AM,
Terrain key?
I just received my first PG game in many years (An Army at Dawn) and noticed the terrain key is  no longer part of the TEC. Granted AAAD has little variation in the way of terrain, I still would like to have a definitive key to the now myriad terrain types. For example: I assume a village is one hex and a town more than one. I also assume that there are only roads on the AAAD maps, not trails or paths. Is this correct?

I tried searching the forums for "terrain key", but didn't find a comprehensive list. If there is an updated terrain key that I've missed, perhaps it could be included as part of the home page rules and charts menu?
07-25-2020, 05:05 AM,
RE: Terrain key?
Well, I just answered part of my own question by actually reading all the game materials: for each scenario in AAAD, the scenario setup specifies that the "urban area" is a town, and whether or not the "roads" should be considered paths. 

Still, I think a general key might be useful.
07-25-2020, 07:02 AM,
Yes a good terrain key is something important that is missing. I wish they had either a visual key with a graphic of each terrain, or a game specific key with map and hex examples. It's usually pretty obvious but there are things like the rice paddies in Pusan Perimeter that were impossible to identify without help from the designer.

Fortunately this site is a great resource and you should feel free to ask questions about anything in the games your need help with.
07-28-2020, 12:32 AM,
Some say that a good TEC is a rather difficult task to do. I know I can do it w my limited computer knowledge. So look for it in the future. I’m not going to say when, but Im pretty sure I can come up w color pictures, labels and explanations. The game that personally drives me crazy is Parachutes Over Crete. Fantastic graphics, but some explanations are lacking for certain terrain that is unique to the maps.

One question for many PG owners of multiple games is ddefitions of woods. Early games like Eastern Front have only one type of woods. But what type is it? Heavy woods? Or just plain woods?

There may be articles in the Avalanche Press website addressing terrain that I am not aware of. Peter Lloyd, our resident guru, probably can answer this question better than I.

It may be that there is some legality stopping the senior members of this group from pursuing such a project. I would suggest that this is not necesssarily a problem because it would not be published for sale but only for individual use.

———
07-28-2020, 11:11 AM,
Unless the module specific rules mention light or heavy woods, I'd assume all woods are just plain woods.
Quote:The game that personally drives me crazy is Parachutes Over Crete. Fantastic graphics, but some explanations are lacking for certain terrain that is unique to the maps.
I have a real hard time telling if the hills are rocky or if they just have a little rock art because they're hills.
saracv3 likes this post
07-30-2020, 02:01 AM,
Photo  RE: Terrain key?
(07-28-2020, 11:11 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: Unless the module specific rules mention light or heavy woods, I'd assume all woods are just plain woods.
Quote:The game that personally drives me crazy is Parachutes Over Crete. Fantastic graphics, but some explanations are lacking for certain terrain that is unique to the maps.
I have a real hard time telling if the hills are rocky or if they just have a little rock art because they're hills.

Joe, I’m right with you here. I gave specific examples of Crete terrain in another post but have gotten.
no response so far. My interpretation are some examples here: 96:0511 , 96: 0912 , 96: 1113. Board 97 is full of rocky hexes along the 80 meter hill elevation .