Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differentiating formations of units
05-18-2020, 07:00 AM,
RE: Differentiating formations of units
Interesting. I like the solution. I thinking perhaps a small pennant in the upper left corner. Then I was thinking translucent overlayer on the unit symbol, like in Beyond Normandy. Your solution looks good too.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-20-2020, 07:04 AM,
I have now been playing around with Vassal, looking at things likely to happen in the campaign games. Two things have come up.

Is there a particular reason the German strongpoints have "Does not stack" trait? We are bound to have (German) units in the hexes with strongpoints, and they would hide the strongpoint beneath them. I edited the "Fortifications..." extension and removed the trait. At least immediatedly, there didn't appear any problems.

I wanted to make a Construction piece for keeping track of engineer activations used for bridge building or roadworks. As a starting point, I used Dropzone piece as it has a good shape and rotation. Is there way for a piece to have Layers on two different Levels? Alternatively, is there a (simple) way to make a piece change Levels, via Dynamic Property or otherwise?

I would have liked to have the activation number counter on Marker - Level = Strike, so it could be seen above the SAP piece, but have rest of the Construction piece on Immobile level, so units could be moved on and off it. Failing that, I tried to make a command to change Marker - Level's value, which also failed.

I then settled for having a smaller number counter, just visible under a unit piece - unless it has the activation status tab visible. I am positive it will suffice.

05-20-2020, 07:30 AM,
Strongpoints and casements don't stack because that makes them hard to move. Those 2 effects go together. Accidental movement was a bigger problem than disappearing. After a little bit, you find that it is a problem. It has been done both ways, the result was the less messy of the to options.

There is not a way to put different elements of a piece on different layers. Someone described a way to may a conjoined piece of 2 pieces on different layers. I have not been able to make it work.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking