Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disrupted Tank with AT value 0 - can he still fire?
05-21-2020, 11:24 PM,
Disrupted Tank with AT value 0 - can he still fire?
This came up in a White Eagles game.  A PzII is disrupted and has an AT value of 0.   It wants to fire but when halve 0 you still have 0.  I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules but the only other reference to this type is for Long Range shots which states that only units with an AT value of 2 or higher may fire at long range. 

Can a disrupted Tank unit with an AT value less than 2 fire when disrupted?
05-22-2020, 12:09 AM,
RE: Disrupted Tank with AT value 0 - can he still fire?
I think it still fires at 0.14.2 DisruptionA disrupted unit or leader:
  • Has all its combat strengths halved.
  • May move only one hex per turn.
  • Can't enter enemy-occupied hexes.
It doesn't apply well to vehicles, but that's the rule.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-22-2020, 03:10 AM,
you actually had a second question...

would a 2-5 (for example) AT gun, which became disrupted, be able to fire at long range? as it is now a 1?

I think the answer is yes....the characteristics of the weapon have not changed, it's effectiveness has....
so probabilities it is effective at longer ranges is reduced (2->1)...but it can still fire at range.

I think the "2" factor chosen is trying to differentiate the small caliber weapons which have some AT utility....(AT rifles ...what other weapons are <2?)
05-22-2020, 03:24 AM,
(05-22-2020, 03:10 AM)cjsiam Wrote: you actually had a second question...

would a 2-5 (for example) AT gun, which became disrupted, be able to fire at long range? as it is now a 1?

I think the answer is yes....the characteristics of the weapon have not changed, it's effectiveness has....
so probabilities it is effective at longer ranges is reduced (2->1)...but it can still fire at range.

I think the "2" factor chosen is trying to differentiate the small caliber weapons which have some AT utility....(AT rifles ...what other weapons are <2?)

I always thought that the "2" factor was chosen based simply on the math. Any 1 or 0 would be split in half for the long range shot, then rounded back to 1 or 0 because you always round up, effectively just making their normal range 150% of the printed value.
05-22-2020, 09:01 AM,
(05-22-2020, 03:24 AM)triangular_cube Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:10 AM)cjsiam Wrote: you actually had a second question...

I always thought that the "2" factor was chosen based simply on the math. Any 1 or 0 would be split in half for the long range shot, then rounded back to 1 or 0 because you always round up, effectively just making their normal range 150% of the printed value.

Given the proclivity expressed through out the rules to halve things and round up (generally)---I don't think that would hold up as the reason.
And the phenomena is really physics based---having enough "poop" behind the shell to keep it going out the additional distance...small calibers did not have
enough behind them (actually the mass x speed) to be effective against armor at ranges---things like aiming and hitting the target as the shell slows at range....

So I always ASSUMED (cause I've read no causation study) that it was caliber based....type of weapon....

But, I hold that you do get the range, but at discounted due to disruption it being less effective/impactful.
05-27-2020, 02:52 AM,
I never thought about whether a disrupted 2 could fire at long range.  My gut is that, as was mentioned, the base gun did not change, just essentially the ROF, coordination of the guns in the platoon.  So, yeah, I'd let them do it.