Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows update destroyed my logfile!
02-29-2020, 06:55 AM,
RE: Windows update destroyed my logfile!
(02-29-2020, 06:52 AM)patman Wrote: I am using VASSAL 3.2.17. Is there a later version?

No, that's the current version.

The developers are pretty quick to jump on bug reports, though, over at the main site http://www.vassalengine.org/ -- you'll have to register and post in their forums.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-29-2020, 07:04 AM,
Oh Jesus, this is ALL just because I don't recognize "End Logfile" as "Save Logfile"?

But no, it doesn't seem to be the same functionality. I "End Logfile" and it saves something. THen I want to keep playing so I "Begin Logfile" and it asks me to name a file. If I name the same file, does it overwrite or append? It asks me if I want to overwrite! So that is decidely what I don't want!

What I'm getting at is there appears to be no "incremental save" option. If I have to keep saving after every activation (to avoid random disruptions from system stuff over the weeks-long (for reasons) time that I'm doing these things) AND I have to rename them every time, that's ridiculous.

What am I missing?
02-29-2020, 07:07 AM,
To be clear: this isn't a "bug" in VASSAL, just poor design IMO. The crashes are Windows' fault. Not being able to save incrementally to avoid the crashes is VASSAL's
02-29-2020, 07:10 AM,
Oh, sorry, the overwrite thing applies if I'm recovering from a crash, when the actual module file does not contain any of the previous move information. So I don't want to overwrite in that situation (which is the case now). That might be confusing the issue here. If there were no crashes, this would not be an issue.
02-29-2020, 07:14 AM,
None of this would be a problem if I could just sit down for a couple of hours straight and PLAY! Then save at the end and boom, everything is fine. It's the many multiple sessions over a LONG time that causes the trouble. 

I will figure it out. Eventually. Sorry for all the angst.
02-29-2020, 07:20 AM,
Oh, I should point out that the actual CURRENT GAME STATE is preserved perfectly fine in the .vsav file! I save that one all the time! This is all a problem with the log file and the strange (to me) way those are handled by VASSAL.
02-29-2020, 07:32 AM,
Is there a way just to look at the contents of the .vlog file? I tried entering a few lines into a log file, "saving" (actually ending) it and then trying to re-open it in VASSAL. But when I did that none of the content I had entered into the log file was there.
02-29-2020, 08:26 AM,
You should be able to select End Logfile whenever you want to take a break. Then when you start up you'll create a new logfile. The group of logfiles together will track you entire play. I usually do something like name the first logfile "Scenario1". Then when I pick up later the second logfile can be something like "Scenario1b".
Shad likes this post
02-29-2020, 02:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-29-2020, 03:08 PM by patman.)
Thanks Joe. That's what I thought, rename each time you re-start and string them together. I was hoping to avoid that; it seems so 1980's computer-wise (re-load the floppy each time Tongue ). Especially since my sessions can be so short (just because of real life: I'll be up to letter "u" by the end). But if that's what's needed...

(Edit: unfortunately, the time between Thanksgiving and the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (generally 3rd week of March) is the busiest time of year for us planetary scientists. And this has coincided with the release of PG-Über Sad)