Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ochi: The Italian Invasion of Greece, 1940
10-16-2020, 01:34 AM,
RE: Ochi: The Italian Invasion of Greece, 1940
This game will happen, just not anytime soon. Everything is submitted.
02-06-2021, 01:21 PM,
Looks like Ochi for 2022!
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
02-08-2021, 06:04 AM,
I probably shouldn't share this as it is from the most recent Gold-Club news letter but for the sake of increased sales and interest for those who haven't bought into the GC yet:
 New for 2022
Ochi: Greece 1940
Les Marocains: France’s Islamic Heroes

Avalanche Press is a different beast than other wargame publishers; we revel in our quirkiness and have at times done ill-considered things solely to be different rather than for any good reason. One difference of which we haven’t taken enough advantage is that the company is creator-owned, with a small cadre of long-time outside game designers. We’re not reliant on what freelance designers choose to offer us; we can actually plan for the games and books we want to publish.

I imagine those other guys yelling at each other, things like: “We already have eleven strategic Napoleonic games! Another just cannibalizes sales!” “Payroll’s due in five days. Palooza it right now or go unpaid.” I’m only imagining a little; we had very similar discussions back in the bad old days.

We don’t have to do that ever again. It seems obvious, but that liberating thought didn’t come easily - that’s how our industry works, that’s how we worked for years. We can choose to make the games we think you’ll like, from the ground up. And the books/expansions that you’ll want, to make those games more fun once you’ve had them for a while.

So that’s where Ochi and France’s Islamic Heroes come in. They didn’t just tumble over the transom; I solicited them from their designers, specifically to expand Parachutes Over Crete and 1940: The Fall of France, respectively. From your standpoint, they’ll add more scenarios and cool pieces to games you’ve already played and enjoyed, so you can have fresh fun in a familiar place. From ours, they refresh the sales life of their core games. These are good things all around.

Ochi is from Jay Townsend; it’s (modern) Greek for “Oh hell no,” the phrase Greek dictator Ioannis Metaxas uttered in response to Italian demands that Greece capitulate in October 1940. Greeks still celebrate Ochi Day, and now you can too. It has 40 scenarios of Greek-Italian action, and 176 new pieces (you’ll also need Conquest of Ethiopia).

France’s Islamic Heroes is from Philippe Léonard, and it’s about the exploits of the elite 1st Moroccan Division in the 1940 campaign. The Moroccans were long-service professionals, tough bastards who charged panzers with bayonets - and won. You get 88 new die-cut and silky-smooth pieces, plus of course scenarios in story-arc format.

With just four Panzer Grenadier books on the current schedule, these two are both turned in and will be among the first we add when we finally Bring the Palooza.
saracv3 likes this post
02-08-2021, 07:00 AM,
Would really like to order this, but I'm holding. AP already has over $950 of mine waiting on unpublished products. There's just too much lag at this point, and it's time for them to take care of the items that haven't been published yet before they move on to newer items. It's gotten worse than Kickstarters!
Juiceman, treadasaurusrex, Miguelibal like this post
02-08-2021, 07:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 12:19 PM by JayTownsend.)
That is why it is not on preorder yet, they want to catchup a bit. I have a ton on preorder as well.
02-09-2021, 01:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 01:38 AM by triangular_cube.)
(02-08-2021, 07:00 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote: Would really like to order this, but I'm holding. AP already has over $950 of mine waiting on unpublished products. There's just too much lag at this point, and it's time for them to take care of the items that haven't been published yet before they move on to newer items. It's gotten worse than Kickstarters!

APL certainly does have a habit of selling 2 years worth of preorders every year, compounding. I was honestly surprised these werent for sale yet.
02-09-2021, 03:12 AM,
My pre-orders go back to May 2016, which is a tad long. I've never even had a Kickstarter that delayed except for one that the creator never made and absconded with the funds.
treadasaurusrex and Miguelibal like this post
02-09-2021, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 12:22 PM by JayTownsend.)
I don't get any funds, maybe a slap on the back if I am lucky!  Sad

But I think this year Mike will start catching up and pumping games out, including Red Desert.
triangular_cube likes this post
02-09-2021, 12:36 PM,
One thing about this campaign is that I don't believe its ever been covered in a tactical level game as this one. I remember reading, researching and studying this subject and I thought wow, this has to be done for Panzer Grenadier, it is fascinating subject and it effected Hitler's Russian Campaign, delaying by at least a month, which probably saved the Russians in Moscow as the Germans froze outside the gates in December.

Lots of interesting battles/scenarios on a very unique battle that history hardly ever mentions but maybe a sentence or two. Not anymore!
02-12-2021, 02:55 AM,
Les Marocains: France’s Islamic Heroes
I already developed all the scenarios. I may make a couple minor changes after we finalize the countersheet.
joe_oppenheimer likes this post