Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Cross-fire, Flanking Fire
10-23-2019, 02:22 AM,
Cross-fire, Flanking Fire
As my cousin and I fumbled in the Cuban jungle, we noticed that the Flank Fire rule says [direct] fire traced through non-adjacent hexes. Looking back at all 3 versions of PG rules, they say the same thing in regard to Cross-Fire. This technically creates an interesting issue. If fire needs to be traced through a hexes, as the rule says, cross or flank fire could not be initiated if either the first of subsequent shooters were adjacent to the target. Did anyone else ever notice that?

Incidentally, we play the rule as non-adjacent hexside.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-23-2019, 06:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 06:32 AM by cjsiam.)
RE: Cross-fire, Flanking Fire
Flank Fire rule? Version 4.0?

What is this thing you call "Flank Fire"? Undecided

you got a rule number reference for that? Huh

for AT guns it's 11.12.....but....there is nothing that I have found for Direct Fire (in fact my friend I'm introducing to system asked about
  it recently and I said it was not something reflected save for AT ....)

Is there a difference in tracing through a "hex" and a non-adjacent "hexside"?
10-23-2019, 07:34 AM,
In PG it is cross-fire
In IA it is flank fire.
Quote:Is there a difference in tracing through a "hex" and a non-adjacent "hexside"?
If you fire from one hex into a adjacent hex, which one did you go through? By most definitions, neither. You fire out of one and into the other.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-23-2019, 08:40 AM,
(10-23-2019, 07:34 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: In PG it is cross-fire
In IA it is flank fire.
Quote:Is there a difference in tracing through a "hex" and a non-adjacent "hexside"?
If you fire from one hex into a adjacent hex, which one did you go through? By most definitions, neither. You fire out of one and into the other.

And in any case of firing into a hex, you cross a hexside boundary....only one, and always.

The stricture "Through a non-adjacent hex" --- is it topologically equivalent to "Through a non-adjacent hexside" ?
I interpret it to be so---are there any counter examples?
Would that not alleviate any question?...only caveat (in either case) is an "along the hex spine" shot -- it is placed in the least advantageous hex for the firer....and it works?
?
10-23-2019, 01:01 PM,
Does it? There have been 4 opportunities to fix the language. Along a hexspine more confirms, than denies, the not adjacent aspect of the language.
10-24-2019, 05:17 AM,
(10-23-2019, 02:22 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: As my cousin and I fumbled in the Cuban jungle, we noticed that the Flank Fire rule says [direct] fire traced through non-adjacent hexes. Looking back at all 3 versions of PG rules, they say the same thing in regard to Cross-Fire. This technically creates an interesting issue. If fire needs to be traced through a hexes, as the rule says, cross or flank fire could not be initiated if either the first of subsequent shooters were adjacent to the target. Did anyone else ever notice that?

Incidentally, we play the rule as non-adjacent hexside.

Oops ! Never noticed the word « adjacent »...