Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VT fused Art vs Inf in APC's - 3rd Ed.
11-27-2018, 03:55 AM,
VT fused Art vs Inf in APC's - 3rd Ed.
I'm playing a Spearhead Div scenario and the Germans have rushed out of a town into the open to assault my loaded APC's. I'm thinking of calling OBA into the hex but I don't want to get the column shift on my own units. 

While the APC's would provide some protection it seems like air bursts would be unpleasant to be under, even in an APC. 

Thoughts? 
11-28-2018, 11:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 01:22 AM by Greyfox.)
RE: VT fused Art vs Inf in APC's - 3rd Ed.
I would have to dive into the rules to give you a good answer. As an Infantryman I will tell you that I am unsure which would be worse when facing an air burst - being on the ground or inside an open top APC. On the ground if shrapnel misses you it will embed itself into the ground or something else. In an APC the shrapnel could ricochet this causing casualties; though, on the plus side, if the initial burst misses the APC could displace more quickly than folks on the ground. This might all be a moot point as many artillerymen prefer a mix of VT (airburst) and point detonation based on target description (mix of dismounts and tracked vehicles) and certain terrain (forests or wooded terrain).
11-28-2018, 11:56 PM,
RE: VT fused Art vs Inf in APC's - 3rd Ed.
(11-28-2018, 11:22 AM)Greyfox Wrote: I would have to dive into the rules to give you a good answer.  As an Infantryman I will tell you that I am unsure which would be worse  for facing an air burst- being on the fround or inside an open top APC.  On the ground if it misses you ithe sharpness will embed itself into the ground or something else.  In an APC the shrapnel could ricochet; though on the plus side after the first burst the APC could displace more quickly.  This might all be a moot point as many artillerymen prefer a mix of VT (airburst) and point detonation in certain terrain .

Thanks.

Looking at the rules I think it's a case that just isn't covered. Per the rules there is no effect on the APC's/Inf unless an X or > is rolled as a result. 

"Conversely, a personnel unit loaded on an APC is protected by the APC's armor value, and is immune to all results on the direct fire and bombardment table except X, 2X and 3X."