Fields - Brush - Tall Grass TEC
Good afternoon All.

Fields - Brush - Tall Grass.
1.5 MP Foot.
4 MP Motorized.
3 MP Mechanized.
Limiting Terrain = Yes.
See Notes:
Fields - Brush - Tall Grass In Winter (Dec - Feb turns in any but tropical climate) treat this as clear terrain (not limiting terrain for anything)

So if we are playing a January Scenario in Germany - do MP Costs change to those of a clear hex or do the MP costs for a field never change? 

Thank You!
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
09-01-2018, 05:33 AM,
RE: Fields - Brush - Tall Grass TEC
While it seems like an abrupt change, that is how I would play it.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-01-2018, 07:33 AM,
(09-01-2018, 05:33 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: While it seems like an abrupt change, that is how I would play it.

My take on it is that the season change effects LOS/Limiting terrain but not the MP cost. 
09-01-2018, 10:04 AM,
Good questions about seasonal fields. Maybe treat as clear is the easiest answer depending on the season and theater location.
09-01-2018, 10:57 AM,
I was going with spotting and not movement because the notes specifically mention spotting:

Fields/Brush/Tall Grass. In winter (Dec-Feb turns in any but tropical
climates) treat this as clear terrain (not limiting terrain for anything).

I think since the ground is still broken up it has increased movement even if there are no plants growing.
09-02-2018, 11:19 PM,
Hmmm... I might be able to weigh in here, as I have intimate knowledge of such a condition. During my time in A'Stan (one year, so I saw the seasons change) we did a lot of work in the fertile river valleys where tall crops and fields would grow. In the Spring and Summer, this was particularly rough going due to the presence of these crops. Visibility was a challenge (we usually had Spotter Helos accompany us), hence 'limiting terrain', and the soft, tilled ground made movement difficult.
Conversely, in the winter months, visibility was no longer an issue, but the broken nature of ground that has been harvested still made for difficult foot movement. The tracks and heavier wheeled vehicles were not affected (Humvees were a bit uncomfortable in this terrain as you felt every single bump). So, as Rich states above, spotting is no longer an issue in the months following the harvest (clear terrain for spotting purposes... not limited whatsoever) but movement is still affected for all foot and wheeled vehicles (tracks are unaffected). That's how I would play it, based on my first hand experience.
09-03-2018, 06:01 AM,
(09-02-2018, 11:19 PM)Coniglius Wrote: Hmmm... I might be able to weigh in here, as I have intimate knowledge of such a condition. During my time in A'Stan (one year, so I saw the seasons change) we did a lot of work in the fertile river valleys where tall crops and fields would grow. In the Spring and Summer, this was particularly rough going due to the presence of these crops. Visibility was a challenge (we usually had Spotter Helos accompany us), hence 'limiting terrain', and the soft, tilled ground made movement difficult.
Conversely, in the winter months, visibility was no longer an issue, but the broken nature of ground that has been harvested still made for difficult foot movement. The tracks and heavier wheeled vehicles were not affected (Humvees were a bit uncomfortable in this terrain as you felt every single bump).  So, as Rich states above, spotting is no longer an issue in the months following the harvest (clear terrain for spotting purposes... not limited whatsoever) but movement is still affected for all foot and wheeled vehicles (tracks are unaffected). That's how I would play it, based on my first hand experience.

Yeah, this is what I pictured. Though the TEC has a point increase for tracked units as well (3 instead of 1.5 I think).

Do tracked vehicles have problems with fields even when they are in season?