Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[House Rules] EF #7 South of Brest AFV Activations
06-09-2018, 11:44 AM,
EF #7 South of Brest AFV Activations
In this scenario, 10 Soviet AFV units can only become actived on a die roll of 6 for each unit. This rule is to duplicate the surprise attack on June 22, 1941.

After activation, the AFV no longer needs to roll for activation. It is assumed to have a tank leader.

However, what if a German (Austrian) unit reaches an unactivated Russian AFV?

My house rule for this is that the German unit moves into the hex containing the AFV, spends one turn in the hex, and by doing so eliminates the AFV. Note that the AFV may become active if not eliminated during the turn if it happens to roll a 6 at the beginning of the next turn.

So far, 2 Soviet AFV's have been destroyed this w,ay, while one remains inactivated on turn 11 of the game.

Feedback?
06-10-2018, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2018, 04:43 AM by Poor Yorek. Edit Reason: grammar )
RE: EF #7 South of Brest AFV Activations
(06-09-2018, 11:44 AM)saracv3 Wrote: In this scenario, 10 Soviet AFV units can only become actived on a die roll of 6 for each unit. This rule is to duplicate the surprise attack on June 22, 1941.

After activation,  the AFV no longer needs to roll for activation. It is assumed to have a tank leader.

However, what if a German (Austrian) unit reaches an unactivated Russian AFV?

My house rule for this is that the German unit moves into the hex containing the AFV, spends one turn in the hex, and by doing so eliminates the AFV. Note that the AFV may become active if not eliminated during the turn if it happens to roll a 6 at the beginning of the next turn.

So far, 2 Soviet AFV's have been destroyed this w,ay, while one remains inactivated on turn 11 of the game.

Feedback?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is there need for any house rule here?  Just because a unit is not activated or is prevented from activating, does not imply that it is helpless (or treated like a truck).  For example, a unit need not activate to defend in an assault (which is what you seem to suggest attempting).  If I may say so gently, just seems to me like you posit a solution to a problem that does not exist.
06-10-2018, 06:03 AM,
Information  RE: EF #7 South of Brest AFV Activations
Yorek, yes, maybe I'm making Much Ado About Nothing. But I'm visualizing empty tanks with their crews running for them, as the initial scenario narrative says, the tanks might have no defense. Thus the tanks are really captured, as I suspect some were.
06-10-2018, 06:36 AM,
RE: EF #7 South of Brest AFV Activations
Ah, a Shakespeare reference!  Well done, sir.

My reply was based on game mechanics: that is, the special rule regarding activation (limits thereto) does not imply, for example, that the unit cannot defend itself in an Assault (in game terms).  On the other hand, one could park adjacent (and/or set up cross fires) to an non-activating unit and take pop-shots at it or, at least, until a 6 is rolled.  I'm merely suggesting that the game's mechanics already account for the (intended) disheveled level of response without having to "help" it along by a house rule.  You see, the play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.