Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Formula" for creating DIY counters?
04-13-2018, 01:22 AM,
RE: "Formula" for creating DIY counters?
I think the Chaco War is a good test bed for gaming too. A quality versus quantity war, but unlike Peru-Ecuador war, quality is on the strategic defense.

I don't think there is a formula per se. DF values seem to mostly be a feel for the squad/section values. Fire discipline, automatic weapon numbers and such, and the the overall size of the platoon. Reduced values are ½ full strength, rounded up. The exceptions are platoons with high numbers of personal automatic weapons (Grenadiers & such) which get an additional -1 to the reduced value. Heavy weapons platoons used to be an exception in that they were ½ full strength, rounded down. (I thought it was good idea in that it created a distinction to go with the difference.) Generally I would suggest going through the unit library and finding the infantry from comparably equipped armies, and work from there.

For the counters them selves, I use Inkscape. I like the better quality and scalability of vector graphics, but an too cheap to pay for Adobe's drawing tools. I have also found GIMP to be very handy, though scaling can be more difficult. If you really want to get into this, I have almost all the soldier images used in the game. You would need to change uniform and helmet/hat colors. Guns are similar to soldiers in their standardization, but less diverse. Of course, all appropriate APP-6 symbols. Vehicles are mostly individualized images.

I start with a template that looks something like this:

If you really want to get into this, I have lots of stuff to get you started.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Formula" for creating DIY counters? - by plloyd1010 - 04-13-2018, 01:22 AM