Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating the terrain chart
02-19-2018, 12:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 03:38 AM by pixelgeek.)
Updating the terrain chart
One of the things that I find difficult to read is the Terrain Effects Chart. It tries to pack a lot of information into a single space but breaks it up, unnecessarily I think, with notes.

I'm starting on an alternative for my own use and thought I would post it here for feedback.

I've added Combat modifiers columns and also removed entries where they don't really need to be (all the 'No effect' text for instance).

I've also moved all the woods and jungle entries to one section instead of listing them alphabetically.

I also updated the Notes so they are in one document and a bit easier to read.

Update: Fixed some typos in the Notes document and also changed some entries to small caps.

Attached Files
.pdf   PG Terrain Chart.pdf (Size: 61.22 KB / Downloads: 110)
.pdf   Terrain Notes.pdf (Size: 181.94 KB / Downloads: 71)
02-19-2018, 09:14 PM,
RE: Updating the terrain chart
The terrain effects chart is something that desperately calls for a redesign. I have lived with the current one so long, though, the thought of trying to figure out an effect without flipping a chart, opening it and closing it while flipping and then ultimately forgetting what my question was in the first place would remove some of the charm of the current situation....
No "minor" country left behind...
02-19-2018, 09:15 PM,
Venting aside, this is a great start. For those terrain types where you have "See Notes", I would add a quick notation if the terrain in question is limiting. For example: "Limiting terrain. See notes"
No "minor" country left behind...
02-20-2018, 03:40 AM,
I am going to add notations regarding that in the table itself. Just trying to think of a good way to do it.
02-20-2018, 03:53 AM,
I will try them in my next two scenarios (pretending I am still a newcomer to the series) and provide some feedback.
02-20-2018, 04:32 AM,
(02-20-2018, 03:53 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I will try them in my next two scenarios (pretending I am still a newcomer to the series) and provide some feedback.

Thanks
02-23-2018, 07:15 AM,
(02-19-2018, 12:19 PM)pixelgeek Wrote: One of the things that I find difficult to read is the Terrain Effects Chart. It tries to pack a lot of information into a single space but breaks it up, unnecessarily I think, with notes.

I'm starting on an alternative for my own use and thought I would post it here for feedback.

I've added Combat modifiers columns and also removed entries where they don't really need to be (all the 'No effect' text for instance).

I've also moved all the woods and jungle entries to one section instead of listing them alphabetically.

I also updated the Notes so they are in one document and a bit easier to read.

Update: Fixed some typos in the Notes document and also changed some entries to small caps.
Maybe it’s just me. I dont see much of a difference.
02-23-2018, 07:47 AM,
(02-23-2018, 07:15 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote: Maybe it’s just me.  I dont see much of a difference.

So is it that you didn't have any issues with the original TEC or that this version is just as difficult to read?
02-23-2018, 09:56 AM,
(02-23-2018, 07:47 AM)pixelgeek Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 07:15 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote: Maybe it’s just me.  I dont see much of a difference.

So is it that you didn't have any issues with the original TEC or that this version is just as difficult to read?

They seem to be about the same, with having to look from chart to notes. It might be a bit large to consider, but a chart with the bare bones needed for each terrain feature would seem to work. It would make for a larger chart, but it wouldn’t require looking up terrain and then notes on the terrain.
02-23-2018, 10:44 AM,
(02-23-2018, 09:56 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote: They seem to be about the same, with having to look from chart to notes.  It might be a bit large to consider, but a chart with the bare bones needed for each terrain feature would seem to work.  It would make for a larger chart, but it wouldn’t require looking up terrain and then notes on the terrain.

Might be something to try.