Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Front Countersheet Question.
01-12-2018, 12:11 PM,
Photo  Eastern Front Countersheet Question.
So a few months ago I was on a Geeky Boardgame site looking for a Geeky trade.
I wanted PG Eastern Front and had a few items to trade.

I found a willing trade partner - my shrink wrapped "game that will never get to the table" for his Eastern Front - "Complete and Punched".

I received the game and all the pieces were in 1x3 ziplocs with white write on labels.
The labels all said "Soviet EF this" and "German EF That" and had the NATO Symbols drawn on the labels and the bags were all in bigger bags and the bigger bags were all in even bigger bags...Well Organized and way more systematic than I would ever try.

I Clipped every single counter as I counted them and put them back in their baggies. 564 out of 660 counters. But there were no system counters so I was not that worried.

This past weekend I decided to start playing a few EF Scenarios SOLO and proceeded to set up Scen 1.

Imagine my surprise when there were no "German Dudes" or "German Armor" to start Scen1!

Plenty of "EF German SS" and "EF German Luftwaffe"!! Wait - What?!?!?

YUP! 68 German "EF SS Counters" in full camo!

So I made a quick visit to the PG-HQ Library --> Games --> Eastern Front --> OOB and Lo and Behold - there are ZERO SS Counters in the Eastern Front Box!

I was miffed and ticked but I did what any "completionist" would do and hit the bay and the geek sale threads to score another copy...

Found an unbelievable good price on the Geek for an "UNPunched" copy and bought it.

It arrived today. All Unpunched as advertised - 4 Sheets of Counters - 660 in Total - So Far So Good!
Eastern Front Countersheet 1 and Countersheet 2 in a sealed cellophane type baggie - 330 Official counters - CHECK!
1 sheet of game / system markers - 165 Official Counters - CHECK!

Sheet 4: States "PANZER GRENADIER ROAD TO BERLIN COUNTERSHEET 4"

The Question:
Is this the correct Countersheet # 4 that comes with Eastern Front 2005 Version?

Thanks!

"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
01-12-2018, 01:16 PM,
RE: Eastern Front Countersheet Question.
Uh... no, it is 2006. East Front Deluxe, sheet 4 looks like this. The Road to Berlin, sheet 4 is quite similar.

Overall, it looks like you got a very good mix. The SS units (if the have 4-3 Infantry), would be from Sinister Forces. They also appear in Red Warriors, White Eagles, and Waltzing Matilda. The Luftwaffe guys (again assuming 4-3 Infantry), are from Red Warriors or Heroes of the Soviet Union.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-12-2018, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2018, 02:38 PM by triangular_cube.)
(01-12-2018, 01:16 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Uh... no, it is 2006. East Front Deluxe, sheet 4 looks like this. The Road to Berlin, sheet 4 is quite similar.

Overall, it looks like you got a very good mix. The SS units (if the have 4-3 Infantry), would be from Sinister Forces. They also appear in Red Warriors, White Eagles, and Waltzing Matilda. The Luftwaffe guys (again assuming 4-3 Infantry), are from Red Warriors or Heroes of the Soviet Union.

Seeing that he has the Karl Mortar units bagged, im going to take a stab and say those SS units are from Edelweiss.

RtB and EF sheet 4 are the same? No?

I believe when the original print run of EF sheet 4 ran out APL was stuffing RtB sheet 4 in the box instead.
01-13-2018, 01:31 AM,
(01-12-2018, 02:36 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: Seeing that he has the Karl Mortar units bagged, im going to take a stab and say those SS units are from Edelweiss.
He also has an SS 20mm AA gun, which appears in Sinister Forces and Road to Berlin.

Dan: What is the DF value of the SS infantry? Have the SS leaders got standard or Arianized rank names?

(01-12-2018, 02:36 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: RtB and EF sheet 4 are the same? No?
I just looked at them side-by-side. I think you're right.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-13-2018, 01:35 AM,
Dan, Do you have any pieces that look like this?
[Image: edel_mtn.png]
01-13-2018, 04:06 AM,
You should be able to confirm your counters by looking under Images on each games BBG entry.
01-13-2018, 11:19 AM,
Well this is getting interesting.

The 1st copy of Eastern Front that I received in Trade months ago with all the little ziplocs labeled "EF" seems to have a multitude of different pieces from different games.
Exciting. But now I have 2 copies of Maps 1 - 8. And probably doubles of 75% of the EF Counters!

Dan, Do you have any pieces that look like this?

[Image: edel_mtn.png]

YES!

And some German units with what I call the "Curly Winged Eagle" insignia.

And some Soviet Units in Dark Green with a Red Diagonal Stripe.

And some "SS".
With 2 different insignias.

You Can Right Click and open image in New Tab to see the whole pic.

From the above comments I am guessing my 2nd version of Eastern Front with 4 unpunched countersheets is correct.
Looks like the original Eastern Front Countersheet 3 became / morphed into Road to Berlin Countersheet 4 and APL used RTB CS 4 when reissuing EF.

Coolness.

Thanks All!
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
01-13-2018, 02:37 PM,
Okay Day here is what I think you have. Like Keith said, you should confirm this with the appropriate game pages, either here or on BGG.

You have the East Front Deluxe (duh). The other counters you have are:
  • The SS from Road to Berlin. This probably means you have SS grenadiers (DF of 7-3).
  • You have what is likely to be the complete set of Edelweiss counters from the 1st edition. The SS leadership from Edelweiss will have the flower emblem.
  • You probably also have a complete set of Heroes of the Soviet Union or Red Warriors. This gives you Luftwaffe ground troops (88mm is are a separate issue) and Soviet Guards1942/43. It probably also means you have some extra/odd Heer counters mixed in with your East Front counters.
Since you have the 1st edition of Edelweiss, you won't have the Gebirgsjäger leadership, and the H38 tanks have the wrong values. If you are a DIY guy I can help you, or point you to the official downloads. I think my DYO counters are better than the official ones. Just let me know if you are interested.
01-13-2018, 10:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 10:50 PM by rerathbun. Edit Reason: clarified that countersheets ordered in huge numbers were the older, Chinese-printed ones )
(01-13-2018, 01:31 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 02:36 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: RtB and EF sheet 4 are the same? No?
I just looked at them side-by-side. I think you're right.

They are indeed the same.  Eastern Front Deluxe and Road to Berlin were produced at nearly the same time, and RTB countersheet 4 was used in both games.  Saves a lot of $$ on layout costs with the printer. 

Due to economies of scale, the older Chinese-printed countersheets were ordered in huge numbers, so the same countersheets are used in all versions of a single game, no matter what the edition date is.  Also why you'll see countersheets from older games repurposed in new games.  I believe we'll see some EFD counters in Fire in the Steppe.  When the counters finally run out and they re-order, you will see Avalanche Press announce that a game has the "new, silky-smooth die-cut playing pieces."

There may be minor differences in color between print runs of the same countersheet, but I believe the difference in color between the two countersheets shown on BGG reflect different color casts in the scanner settings.
01-18-2018, 02:17 AM,
Plloyd is on target..Road to Berlin counter sheet was used in EF deluxe.

The upcoming Fire in the Steppe uses up leftover stock of EF Deluxe countersheets and combines them with version number 3 of boards 1-8.