Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Afrika Korp - #21 Tanks!
11-17-2017, 02:54 AM,
Afrika Korp - #21 Tanks!
My gaming buddy Tim asked that I take pictures of the face to face PG game I was going to play last Sat. I started to send him an email with them and then figured I'd post it here instead. I'm not sure how popular these sort of things are... it looks like my Go for Broke one gets a lot of views but no comments. I'm not sure if they are boring for other people or really there's not much to say.

Anyway...

We wrapped up a An Army at Dawn battle we had started last time we got together. My dice were hot and after one turn which consisted of me blowing up all his weak Italian armor with mighty Lee's, blowing him off a hill with some OBA and cleaning up a few assaults he had tried he surrendered and we moved onto Afrika Korp.

We picked one called Tanks! which is a nice small battle. I suggested to him that for face to face meetings maybe we should start looking at smaller battles instead of the monster ones we play by email.

In it I'm the Australians trying to hold off a German attack somewhere on the outskirts of Tobruk. It has some fun rules. There is an AT ditch running across the map but it wasn't done yet. Every time a German unit tries to move into it you roll a d6 and on a 5 or 6 it's not complete and you remove the ditch. Starting on turn 6 the German starts to roll a d6 and on a 6 all his tanks turn and start to move off the map, called elsewhere. 

For the Allies you have to roll 2d6 every time you fire your OBA to see if it runs out of ammo on a 11 or 12. I manged to lose all 3 modules!

But once again my dice were amazing. I seriously think I only rolled a 7 3 or 4 times. It was crazy. However, he managed to find a hole in the ditch and is pushing though. He was down to only 2 AT ditches left to check before finding a hole. I think he's up to about 7 step losses to my 0 or 1. 

In the last picture you can see the Italian tanks pushed though and the monster Pz IV's sitting outside pounding away. I have 2 very light British armor units hiding at the top of the map afraid to even get withing 2 x their range. You can also see the battle raging along the AT ditch. That 'spotted' and 'dug-in' markers are place holders for assault hexes we have going on. 

We're about half way though the 10 turns before we had to stop and save it for next time. 

11-17-2017, 03:56 AM,
RE: Afrika Korp - #21 Tanks!
Which rules set? Why is the British armor not digging in? And why so far forward? General plan for the next few turns?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-17-2017, 04:38 AM,
Wooo, a comment! Smile Thanks.

This is with my 3rd Ed friend.

The A13's have been firing at the 0 armored Italians... and receiving fire from the German IV's. Neither has amounted to much.

I could dig in the armor 0 Mk ViB's. The play area is very small. They are at or near the 'back' of the allowable area. I might be able to back up the Mk V's a hex to get them out of long range from the IV's and I should probably move the A13's up a bit to get the full +2 against the Italians.

I sent a link here to my opponent as he thought it was cool I was taking pictures so I wouldn't want to say too much about plans but honestly at this point it's just hanging on and hoping to come out on top. He needs to take 2 of the Ent's and I need to hold them. (Actually per my reading of the victory conditions I've already won as I've caused 5 step loses but we're pretending that if he takes 2 Ent's it's a draw. Smile That's fine with me. ). I'm really hoping he rolls a 6 and the Panzers scurry off to bigger and better things.
11-17-2017, 05:02 AM,
SSR 3 looks to be a bummer. Especially with such a small force to hold the line.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-17-2017, 09:22 AM,
I don't have anything to contribute directly to this post but I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the pictures and they motivate me to play the scenario if the comments or other AARs are positive.
11-17-2017, 11:44 AM,
(11-17-2017, 09:22 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I don't have anything to contribute directly to this post but I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the pictures and they motivate me to play the scenario if the comments or other AARs are positive.

Ahh, thanks. It's nice to know I'm not tossing them out into a vacuum. They take a decent amount of work and I didn't want to waste my time or anyone else's.  Smile
11-17-2017, 12:57 PM,
(11-17-2017, 11:44 AM)richvalle Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 09:22 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I don't have anything to contribute directly to this post but I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the pictures and they motivate me to play the scenario if the comments or other AARs are positive.

Ahh, thanks. It's nice to know I'm not tossing them out into a vacuum. They take a decent amount of work and I didn't want to waste my time or anyone else's.  Smile

Cool, thanks for the pics and post, Rich!
11-17-2017, 02:36 PM,
I am enjoying your AARs and pictures Rich. Thanks for posting them.
11-20-2017, 09:56 AM,
I enjoy your pics since I figure I now live in a wilderness as far as this hobby goes this is the only way I'll get to enjoy the games.
11-27-2017, 12:40 AM,
(11-20-2017, 09:56 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: I enjoy your pics since I figure I now live in a wilderness as far as this hobby goes this is the only way I'll get to enjoy the games.

Where are you at that is so barren?