Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
01-05-2014, 08:30 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
(01-04-2014, 06:34 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: Another new guy signing on. I got the urge to do a lot of Guadalcanal gaming recently in air, land and sea battles, gearing up for a minis convention coming in March and somebody pointed out the PG Guadalcanal game. I put that and the Jungle Warfare module on my Christmas list and got them both, which forced (Smile) me to get Battle of the Bulge with some Christmas cash in order to fill out the Army troops for Jungle Warfare. Been gaming in board games and minis since '72, using some of both as training aids during my Army career. Hoping to find gamers in the Dayton area to dig into these games. Also, since Dayton is the home of the Air Force Museum, if anyone wants to plan a visit and game day, I'll be happy to host both with a little notice. I've hosted museum visits and minis game days so far, so could host something for multiple players and games at my workplace if anyone would want to make the trip. I've been busy on Boardgame Geek reading up on these games so recognize quite a few group names from there.

Welcome!
05-14-2014, 05:43 PM,
Hi there, im Brian

I was pointed to this site by BGG had a look around and it seems like a fun place to be. Ive been trying to get into wargaming for several years now basically since I fell into long term depression as a way to give me something else to focus on. Im now starting to work my way out of that and picked up a copy of Afrika Korps I like the look of the game and am just reading my way through the 3rd edition rules that I printed out.

I enjoy both miniature and cardboard wargaming as well as board gaming in general.

Im 37 and from West Yorkshire in the UK, looking forward to having a good read around the site.

Take care
Brian.
05-14-2014, 08:09 PM,
Welcome Brian. You have Wayne Baumber and I from the South of England here. Games on skype are popular amongst a group of us from Europe, UK & the US. When you feel confident to mix in and meet. feel free to message us.
05-14-2014, 09:03 PM,
Hi Brian. Are you the guy who trying find a copy of Elsenborn Ridge over there? I life used to be pretty tough over in Yorkshire. Welcome to the club.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-14-2014, 10:18 PM,
(05-14-2014, 09:03 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Hi Brian. Are you the guy who trying find a copy of Elsenborn Ridge over there? I life used to be pretty tough over in Yorkshire. Welcome to the club.

That's me Smile
05-14-2014, 11:22 PM,
Welcome Brian, I play Vince and Wayne (from the U.K.) regularly via Skype and am only one time zone away in Germany so if you are ever up for an 'Afrika Korps' scenario via skype in the distant future drop me a line. I've played about 40 of the 50 AK scenarios solo but would love to revisit them in shared plays as before I was using 2nd edition rules before finding this site. There are a lot of helpful people here and again welcome! Smile
05-15-2014, 12:54 AM,
Welcome to the club Brian, Afrika Korps itself can keep you busy for a long time, and there are over 2,000 scenarios in print for the system with many more more coming out each year. PG is the old Avalon Hill Panzerblitz done right, with the primacy of infantry displayed, and the dagger of armor and the hammer of artillery properly represented in their correct proportion on the World War 2 battlefield.
05-15-2014, 01:51 AM,
Welcome Brian!

One feature of this site I highly recommend to newcomers of the series is the "Search' functionality. If you use it to show the scenarios in your collection, it will display the following page:

http://www.pg-hq.com/search.php?games%5B...ion=search

You can sort the scenarios by Turns, Counters, and Ratings to find scenarios that are more appropriate than just playing them in the order listed in the scenario booklet. Start with something small as you will reference the rules quite often in your first 2 or 3 plays (at least I did) and then try different things to find your sweet spots.

I will write a few Learn to Play PG articles after 4th edition are out and will post them here or possibly as Daily Content on the Avalanche Press site.
05-15-2014, 02:08 AM,
That's great, thanks for the warm welcome all Smile

4th ed rules.... ive only just printed out the 3rd ed ones. Smile

Take care.
05-15-2014, 03:00 AM,
(05-15-2014, 02:08 AM)count_zero99uk Wrote: That's great, thanks for the warm welcome all Smile

4th ed rules.... ive only just printed out the 3rd ed ones. Smile

Take care.

Don't worry 4th edition are not out yet. Soon hopefully.