Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AT Fire Table "immediately preceding action segment"
05-31-2017, 01:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM by Shad.)
AT Fire Table "immediately preceding action segment"
Minus 1 - "Target moved in the..." pointedly not current action segment - if this means what it states, how does one keep track of such units that moved in the "preceding action segment"? 

I was challenged by a previous PG developer if "English is a second language" when I requested clarifications about exiting an Assault Hex, suggesting the term "Free Shot", and requesting an Example of Play for Crossfire, both now in 4E Rules (thank you) - thus, my question.

Attached Files Image(s)

05-31-2017, 02:54 PM,
RE: AT Fire Table "immediately preceding action segment"
I use tile spacers instead of move/fired markers. They're typically $1 per bag of 100 or so, and come in different colors. In scenarios where the number of AFVs potentially moving in one action segment is too many to remember accurately, I'd mark them with Color A and then following the next action segment swap those to Color B. By rotating back and forth you would know that Color A moved markers are for the preceding action segment only.

Perhaps that seems tedious, but I prefer it to rotating counters this way and that.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-31-2017, 08:51 PM,
What is there to keep track of?You only remember if your opponent has just moved a tank, or whatever. After that it wouldn't matter
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-31-2017, 11:30 PM,
(05-31-2017, 08:51 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: What is there to keep track of?You only remember if your opponent has just moved a tank, or whatever. After that it wouldn't matter

Large scenario, chain activation, a dozen or so units moving.
05-31-2017, 11:32 PM,
A dozen tanks in one action segment? They all come from roughly the same place, right?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-01-2017, 01:00 AM,
Remember that AFV activation can ONLY be one hex and the immediately adjacent hexes (there is no "chain" of AFV leaders possible as they have no seniority). A dozen AFVs moving in a single activation is a very rare occurrence. In play I find that I usually can remember which AFVs have just moved in the previous activation without any difficulty, especially if I was planning on firing at some of them. However, the tile spacers can work well in the circumstance that this becomes an issue.

I would use the move/fire markers as usual and only place the tile spacers on the moving AFVs, then remove them after the next activation.

Oh, and for the rare circumstance at the beginning of a turn where a player may have several activations before their opponent gets one I would consider all AFVs moving before the opponent's first activation to have moved in the immediately preceding action segment. That's how I have played it in the past, although, again it is rare that it is an issue.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-01-2017, 01:04 AM,
BTW to be sure to address the point. The "immediately preceding action segment" is the one taken by your opponent right before your current one. If your opponent has just moved an AFV into a juicy target area you need to be patient and perform another action somewhere else on this activation and come back to this later in the turn if you want to avoid the -1 DRM.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-01-2017, 03:56 AM,
My choice of "Chain Activation" was a poor one; my apologies.
Playing a heavy metal scenario with a Tank Leader who activates himself and six surrounding hexes (at least seven). They all move into a cloud of tanks already marked with M/F. Who is whom?
06-01-2017, 04:56 AM,
I have never seen that happen. Not often that many tanks, nor are they likely to create such a wonder selection of targets.If you are really concerned, you could always those particular ones sideways. Just remember to straighten them before the owner begins their next activation.
06-01-2017, 05:11 AM,
I can easily see this situation occurring in a large Kursk scenario, in an Iron Curtain scenario, or in PG Modern. Lots of armored vehicles and trucks and it's hard to keep mentally track of which moved in the prior activation when an activation can last several minutes.

I use tile spacers (blue, orange, and white) in many games and find them easier to see and pick up than markers. Cheap too!