Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[House Rules] Watercraft
05-31-2017, 05:09 AM,
Watercraft
Between Guadalcanal, Saipan & Counter Attack various watercraft have become a peculiar jumbled intrusion. They don't really seem to mesh well with the system. So I have an opus that begins to address that problem. Mark it up, criticize, and otherwise evaluate.

P.S. I know about the incongruity with LSVs in KW:CA. Imagine those are more like big LCTs or something.

Attached Files
.pdf   Ship charateristics.pdf (Size: 387.64 KB / Downloads: 33)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-01-2017, 09:50 AM,
RE: Watercraft
I won’t comment on the rules and ship types of Guadalcanal: (LCVP, LVT, AK, APD, DD & CL) as I had nothing to do with that design. And the same with the River Boats design with: (all types of Gunboats).

But for the Saipan 1944, Mariana 1944, Pusan Perimeter & Counter-Attack games I would pretty much use the scenario rules form each game design for the ships and amphibious vehicles or try out Peter’s homemade rules and please comment if you do.

• Saipan 1944: (LVT4, LVT (A)-1, LVT (4)-4, Type 2 KA-MI, LCVP, Daihatsu & LCI (G).
• Marianas 1944: (LVT4, LVT (A)-1, LVT (4)-4, Type 2 KA-MI, LCVP, Daihatsu, LCI (G), YP17 & Japanese (GB)).
• Korean War: Pusan Perimeter: (NKPA Boats).
• Korean War: Counter-Attack: LVT3C, LVT A5, LCVP, LSV, & LST. Counter-Attack has the most current rules for these types of units and scenario rules 14 & 15 should cover many of the questions from the past but with that said, the LSVs should most likely be LSTs as I believe the types I read about in a certain history book were a typo and incorrect. Dang Army guys know nothing about ships I found out. The simplest fix would be to replace those LSVs counters with the LSTs counters or use them the way they are and let them beach as the LSTs do. Also, I believe the LSVs and LSTs should have a 6 armor protection factor. I don’t see and current or future scenarios where this will be a factor however.

Future Philippines games and Sicily will add a few more ships and amphibious vehicles to Panzer Grenadier but AP is so slow, that it might take years before and if we see them in print. With that said, I won’t waste too much time going into details about those games, other than they are really cool, as I feel my designs got better as I went. Saipan, Marianas are from 2011-2012, Pusan, Counter-Attack are from 2012-14, and so I would love to see some of my more recent designs get published.

Peter has some interesting ideas and house rules he is working on here and I hope he and you gets to try them out!
06-01-2017, 12:28 PM,
I did advise that players stick with the game special rules for Counter Attack in regards to LSVs, just imagine that they are something else. LSVs, of which there were 9 built, were in excess of 450' and displaced over 5K tons. This makes them quite solidly large destroyer/small cruiser size. They also have a lift capacity of around 900 men, or a battalion plus extras. Better than half had stern loading ramps, but you can't get those to a beach. So that is why I changed how I would use them.

The impetus for making the ship rules was the general ambiguity in the game. Some people treated ships as invulnerable in the game system. That made little sense because destroyers, cruisers, and APDs have a reduced side. On the other hand, something that size is very hard to sink/destroy in PG terms, but they might be driven out of action.

The thread is intended for miscreants, such as myself, who have already gone to Luzon, Leyte, Sicily, Wake, Anzio, yada, yada, yada.., or soon might.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-01-2017, 12:53 PM,
No I get it and it looks interesting Peter!
06-01-2017, 11:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 11:53 PM by plloyd1010.)
BTW, that thingy on my LST is an LCT. It is a little anachronistic in an operational setting, but I felt I needed something to breakup the open deck. I chose that because I've seen several pictures and drawing of LSTs carrying LCTs around.

Incorporating Jay's list into my categories comes out like this.
  • Boats: Daihatsu, Japanese GB, NKPA Boats
  • Amphibians: LVT3C, LVT A5, LVT4, LVT(A)-1, LVT(A)-4, & Type 2 KA-MI
The Japanese used a platoon of Type 2 tanks a Wake Island. A special rule for Type 2 tanks being used amphibiously: The turn after they exit the water, they may not go back in. Japanese amphibious tanks used balsa wood blocks for buoyancy. These were detached after coming ashore. DD tanks should have a similar rule.