Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More home grown house rules
05-29-2017, 03:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2017, 03:53 AM by RLW.)
RE: More home grown house rules
Now I came up with these rules (as I said elsewhere ) not so much as a gamer but more as a history buff that likes details, nuance, and crunch factor. But it just occured to me if one approaches it as a gamer and enjoys that aspect of  playing the game as a way of demonstrating one's mettle as being a more superior, skillful, or accomplished player, these rules (or comparable ones of one's own design)  have the potential to benefit both that serious gamer and the serious  history buff by  employing these in that mastery of these rules could cause one to have an advantage over those that have less mastery. of course  for anyone who is  more in the mood for a quick playing or casual gaming experience or one with less a demand for mental gymnastics in having to remember and apply more  they can just play with some of these or (most likely) none of these as I imagine would be the case for the vast majority of PG gamers.   But for any those hearty souls (or maybe just gluttons for punishment) that might want to dabble with these rules or their own variants  I have tried to write them up so they are not too convoluted though some may in fact be a bit so just that. 

BTW, I have thought of these more in regard to solitaire play but imagine that they would worked just as well for multiplayer games, and I imagine that for those even additional   twist to these rules could be added to further enhance that multiplayer gaming experience. The main thing that I see would be needed for multi play games is a better write up so as to make it easier for two players to agree on what the rules are (with minimum haggling or having to be a rule lawyer) and which ones to use or discard. But for a solitaire game one need only agree with themselves, generally an easier thing to do than with having to   reach such a agreement with others.. though maybe not always in that  having a consensus can help one make up their minds. 

But it is not my goal here to  write up such clear and concise rules in that I am making these more for myself and would leave that task to others (who I imagine would have their own ideas as well how best to reflect the factors these rules address) if anyone should ever so desire to do so. For I am quickly reaching that point where am more inclined to use these rather than keep refining them, though new ideas do seem to be  pooping up as I start to use them, but these are mostly minor tweaks to the existing rules rather than new ones. So it does seem that this project seems to be winding down... and thus time to move on to my next project.. whatever that might be.

And I might conclude this by saying i have been a wargamer for probably about 55 years, my first wargame was AH D Day when it was new. And I have played many a tactical wargame, both board games and computer  as well as having played PG for many years and these ideas have been percolated over those years where only now i have taken the time to write them down and refine them a bit. For PG is a great game! But  the intent here is see if it can be, if not made to be even greater, at least present  these  rules that  might   inspire others to help make it so... not to mention that I can use them myself to add those things to the game that I think might make it so.

Messages In This Thread
More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 05:07 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 11:22 PM
RE: More home grown house rules - by Shad - 05-26-2017, 11:56 PM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 07:22 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 01:35 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 05:46 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-28-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-29-2017, 12:11 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-29-2017, 03:05 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by Shad - 05-29-2017, 08:28 AM