Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-25-2017, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2017, 09:18 AM by RLW.)
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
I am continuing in my play test and I am not trying to give an actual AAR here but rather  do plan to post how this new rule is playing out. with (a few)  actual examples. Also as i play test this  I am making revisions on the rules and I can post these  here   also as one can see below. 

I just (on turn 4) fired 64 BF on the NK armor stack, of a half step T-34/85, a SU-76A, a Ba-64, and a Lt 7-0-0 in a Light Woods hex. I rolled the 15 sided die and got a 6 and the 13 sided and got a 13 which is read as 0. So sure enough  64 +6 -0 = 70 and thus the 55 column was bumped to the 70 columBa-64 (being a wheeled  vehicle as per rule 12 above (which I forgot to add  where  if BF against a vehicle with wheels or an OT AFV  is a condition for using just the plus die for interpolation., but the T-34 and the Lt would.

BTW, I rolled a 9 which gave a M2 which affected the Lt but not any of the AFVs. So in this case  this rule raised the drama level with a 70 BF shot but did not affect the outcome.

I fired the NK  20 BF againt  2 INF and a leader in Light woods and the 5 sided roll (5dr) wa 4 and the 4dr ( this being a two die case given none of the  one die situations apply) was 1 giving 20+4-1 = 23 and thus a 21 shot that rolled a 4 giving a M2, which would have been the same without the bump. So one again this rule did not have an effect on the outcome... but sooner or later it certainly will. 

And i did not have to wait long for that case. Two NK 4-2's Op fired at  a lt and US 6-3 and the 4dr was a 3 and there was no ngeative dr as per rule 1, the target moved more than  1 hex and this gave 8+3 = 11 which bumped the roll up to a 11 with no shifts (the light woods -1 canceling the op fire +1). I rolled a 9 and that without the interpolation would have resulted in no effect but with the bump up gave a M... but both units passed the MC anyway so it ultimately did not affect the outcome.. this time. But in moving more than 1 hex the US player did incur a bit more risk so it was a decision that the US player made, and with good results this time.

The NK 12 mortar shot BF at two  US 6-3's and a leader in a lt woods hex and the 4dr result was 1 and the 3dr result (that is 12-8 =4 but 4dr is already taken by the plus roll hence it is bumped down to a 3dr rolls a 2 and  12 +1 -2 = 11 so the  BF was bumped down to a 8. But the  CRT DR was a 8 so it made no difference (again) in that  that would have resulted in no effect had it not been bumped down from 12 to 8. Note in this case there was no way for the result to have been bumped up to a 16 in that the  Cf  equaled a listed value. But  it could be bumped down and was. But if there had been a situation the  removed the minus roll (e.g. the FO had special abilities), then even though the plus die roll; could not bump it up to a 16 never the less  that situation removed the  possibility of being bumped down and thus had a benefit for the shooter.

And so far play seems pretty  straight forward (other than trying to remember my rules and changing them as it seems appropriate). And probably these are enough examples to better illustrate the idea so I will let these suffice unless something of particular note arises in my test run. But as one can see , these rules do add to the narrative even if they tend to have only a small effect on  the outcomes.. with the real potential of having a quite large one. 

[edit]
BTW, I have just finished playing turn 5 in my test game using the hybrid interpolation system and am really likening it. Here are a few of my observation

I am finding it somehow more satisfying to roll two interpolation die vs one. It is I guess more suspenseful in that will that roll help me, do nothing, or hurt me where with the one die  approach it was  just the first two in question  and not the third.

I really like the  plus die bumps down the negative die if both require the same  n sided die. I devised that rule just so one does not have to buy extra die or make two rolls but have found it quite useful in that it is never a problem  remembering which was the plus die and which was the minus in that with this scheme the plus will always be the die with the higher number of sides. Thus a 5dr and a 4dr one can see that it is the 5dr that is the plus . 

What I am seeing is that  having both the plus and the minus die rolls does still reward every CF point, but often in that having those points above the listed CF in the CRT helps one hand onto that column even if it fails to bump one up from that column. 

Also I am liking those rules for special conditions that removes reduces the two die interpolation role (with both a plus and minus die) to either  a single plus roll or a single minus roll. This I am finding is not at all much mental gymnastics to  track (once one becomes familiar with the all the conditions) in that all it means is when one makes the interpolation roll does one pick up one or two die. 

So I think I am declaring this little experiment in this hybrid  approach a success. in that it seems to work well, produce results that are interesting and add to the crunch  of the game and feels more emotionally satisfying. For example I  in turn 5 had some NK  inf dig in in a woods hex. For  that seems like what they would really do in real life, thinking it would  help them survive. But in PG it does not and is not allowed. But with that rule that  allows one to  dig in  for wood hexes and that still does not help one  in the  normal rules (i.e no =1 shift and no first fire) it never the less  gives one a  condition for only using the minus die for interpolation purposes, hence it buys  the units something in game terms where  without that it would not. 

I can say a similar thing for the condition that reward a AFV for having a turret. For in real life it is much more expensive to build a AFV with a turret so that implies it buys one something. Now I am not sure that in PG having that turret is baked in to its combat values or not. But with this rule it provides some additional tangible benefit that it gives the turreted vehicle a slight edge in assault combat over a non tenured one. 

So the bottom line is I am liking this system and will likely be using  use it for all my solitaire PG gaming in that (for me) it is showing itself to  add to my gaming experience enough to justify the added complexity. 

... so i think this completes my report here on this test game... so back to finish playing it!

...well almost. I just played a turn in my test game where the US player lost two turns due to added fog rule because the commander moved to safety and thus he  lost two MC due to that -1 which caused him to loose firing his arty (all 86 factors) becuase  he thne rolled a bad fog of war that ended the turn. So there was a cost for  having to move that commander, or rather for exposing him to begin with causing him later to half to move. So with this rule don't micro manage with your commander unless you have to.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-25-2017, 08:28 AM