Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the French 75AC?
09-10-2016, 05:33 AM,
RE: What is the French 75AC?
I probably have more books than knowledge, but would be glad to help out as I can.
09-10-2016, 07:05 AM,
(09-10-2016, 01:12 AM)rerathbun Wrote:
Quote:Shad, would it be possible to add a page for each of the units so we can display this kind of info?  For guns and tanks we can include (open-source) photos.  For infantry maybe a brief about the size of the standard infantry platoon and the guns/other weapons they carried. For everyone else; I don't have the expertise to fill any of these pages (part of why I'd like to see them).  Are there enough volunteers willing to provide the info to make adding the pages worthwhile?

I'm in too ! Another way to do it would be writing down short articles for AP dayly content. Possible title would be "Men and machines behind the counters".
09-10-2016, 08:08 AM,
"Men and Machines" is more title catchy and its abbreviation, M&M, actually refers to a chocolate candy that has wars in its history.
09-10-2016, 08:44 AM,
(09-10-2016, 01:12 AM)rerathbun Wrote:
Quote:The French 75AC...See photos and drawings attached.
Very good info. 
Shad, would it be possible to add a page for each of the units so we can display this kind of info?  For guns and tanks we can include (open-source) photos.  For infantry maybe a brief about the size of the standard infantry platoon and the guns/other weapons they carried.
For everyone else; I don't have the expertise to fill any of these pages (part of why I'd like to see them).  Are there enough volunteers willing to provide the info to make adding the pages worthwhile?

Sure, why not. Let's define the scope. Do you think it should be an addition to the Unit page?

Example: http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=unit&id=34 -- putting an infobox above the scenario list?

The downsides to that are we have 1500+ units and that information may never be seen by anyone. Also, some (many? all?) of these descriptions are broad spectrum - they apply to a number of units. Do we then dupe the data?

An alternative would be to add another section to the Library, something akin to a special unit wiki that any member can edit. Then you guys can bloviate to your hearts' content. Now is a good time to remind everyone that we have no aircraft in the Library, and that once upon a time many years ago we had planned a special section for these sorts of odd-ball units. Maybe we can combine those two ideas?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-10-2016, 10:44 AM,
(09-10-2016, 08:44 AM)Shad Wrote: Sure, why not. Let's define the scope. Do you think it should be an addition to the Unit page?

Example: http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=unit&id=34 -- putting an infobox above the scenario list?
I would think a collapsible section, either before the scenario section or in-between the game and errata section. How much info would it contain? Brief like PB/PL or a character/word limit, or unlimited? Would there be any review first? Is it a staff thing, special editorial thing, or open
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-11-2016, 12:38 AM,
Tossing in my two cents:

A collapsible section makes sense with anyone having the ability to post. I would also suggest that there be a text box (Shad's infobox) available to the designer where the discussion of the unit could be provided. The text box would be moderated while the comment section could be wide open.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-11-2016, 01:42 AM,
If a collapsible link on each unit's page would lead to duplication of info, i.e. same PzIV info being stored in various locations (PzIVe, f2 and h under the SS and PzIVa, d, e, f2 and h under the Heer), then maybe a link to a central M&M wiki on the unit page (put the link between "Overall Rating" and "Display Scenario List").
09-11-2016, 10:31 AM,
(09-11-2016, 01:42 AM)rerathbun Wrote: If a collapsible link on each unit's page would lead to duplication of info, i.e. same PzIV info being stored in various locations (PzIVe, f2 and h under the SS and PzIVa, d, e, f2 and h under the Heer), then maybe a link to a central M&M wiki on the unit page (put the link between "Overall Rating" and "Display Scenario List").

So centralize it in a special Library section, then have an "Applies to:" selector which would make that blurb automatically be included on selected units' pages? That way we're auto-duping and everything remains current when edits are made to the central document.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...