Poll: Should infantry unit images be randomized when drawn?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Randomize the! It looks more like the real game.
58.33%
7 58.33%
Standard image on the draw. I can get the other images later.
25.00%
3 25.00%
What?! don't confuse me with options I use anyway! Take it out! Take it out!
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infantry images in Vassal modules
08-15-2016, 03:19 AM,
Infantry images in Vassal modules
I have been working on an update to Kokoda Trail Vassal module. Josh had pointed out 2 minor errors and one much bigger one. As I was finishing up, I noticed that the infantry unit images did not automatically randomize. Looking back through the code I found I had made randomizing them and option. I don't recall why I did it that way originally. I am musing about randomizing the image when the counter is drawn, since the code is in place but the trigger isn't.

If I go back and put the trigger in, the upload to APL will be delayed. Josh will need to update his impending setups. It might also confuse some less sophisticated players, that is if they ever notice. If I don't, only people will ever find it are those geeky enough to read the notes in the module, or have their interest piqued by this thread. So I thought I would just throw out the question.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-15-2016, 09:21 AM,
RE: Infantry images in Vassal modules
I'm having trouble thinking of a reason when using random icons that someone might complain.

I can envision someone being annoyed by having XX INF counters all having the exact same art.

I say randomize and be done with it.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-15-2016, 10:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM by plloyd1010.)
Well Drew, to don't have a real reason not to. It sort of became an issue when I considered Josh would need re-update his starter scenarios. I was going to ask Josh about it, then I wondered if anyone really cared or noticed. So I decided to do a poll.

The plan was to give Dr. Mike on Thursday. If I make the counters random upon drawing, probably a week later.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-19-2016, 04:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 04:27 AM by plloyd1010. Edit Reason: fix tank image statement )
The poll is closing, the majority of votes went to randomizing the counters on the draw. (I suppose the 2 people who wanted nothing random will have a nervous break-down or something.) Anyway the counters with more than one image will look like this after they are drawn:

The tank images are examples of what the Japanese player will see when a tank has a tank leader, and when the tank leader is masked (hidden from Allied player).
08-19-2016, 08:46 AM,
(08-19-2016, 04:26 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The poll is closing, the majority of votes went to randomizing the counters on the draw. (I suppose the 2 people who wanted nothing random will have a nervous break-down or something.) Anyway the counters with more than one image will look like this after they are drawn:

The tank images are examples of what the Japanese player will see when a tank has a tank leader, and when the tank leader is masked (hidden from Allied player).

These look great! It's so nice to see the variance in the counters that actually mirrors much of what is done when miniatures are used. Really looking forward to trying them out :-)
08-20-2016, 06:56 AM,
Just as an FYI, for the assist files I'm creating, it looks like all of the counters have the same image in the Off-Map Holding Box. However, they do randomize when placed on the map.

It's a fun feature.
09-15-2016, 05:51 AM,
Infantry images for everyone
The Kokoda Campaign and Elsenborn Ridge Vassal modules are up. Both randomize the infantry images when placed on the main map.

U.S Para & Infantry each have 6 potential images.
Australian Infantry, Japanese Infantry, Japanese SNLF, German Heers grenadiers, SS grenadiers, and Fallschirmjägers each have 3 images.
The Fallschirmjäger HMG has 2 images.

Apart from the dumb fixes: Kokoda tank leader masking works now.
In Elsenborn, the Scott, Puma and SPW251/9 are "anatomically" correct.
Elsenborn naming convention is more historically correct. (It probably messed up Josh's scenarios though.)
Everyone has their own transport, tanks, and so forth. Include those Japanese Type 95 tanks which which should be belong to the IJN.

Have fun go get'um. Let me know if there are any issues or questions.