Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hills and Fields
08-11-2016, 06:59 AM,
Hills and Fields
While the offering of raised hills and fields for the Fire in the Steppes maps sounds like a great idea, and in many respects it really is, there is also a down side that hasn't been raised. Unless Dr. Mike has found a great way to secure these to the map, they can be a pita as well. While at Gencon last week, I got to play the new Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal game, which uses some very nice overlays to modify the basic map layout. In the firefight that we were playing, movement of unit chits near the edge of the raised area had to be done very carefully to avoid moving the overlaid map piece. Then, if one adds a second tier to create the 40 meter hills, it could be even trickier to maneuver around the board. 3M markets both a poster tape and a photo/document tape that are two-sided, but there would be some concern as to their chemical reaction with the map, and the downside of the overlay piece if the latter is two-sided. This shouldn't be a problem for those who use a poster frame or plexi over their maps, assuming that the overlay pieces have a single printed side. Raised terrain is a great concept if ones uses Kallistra Hexon boards :-), but not necessarily transferable to the small stage.
08-11-2016, 08:11 AM,
RE: Hills and Fields
I'm thinking blue sticky-tack would work. It's supposed to be non-harmful.

For me the issue will be keeping a game set-up. Right now, I can set a bunch of dice on top of the maps, then put plexi on that, and the cats can sit on it to their hearts content without disturbing anything. That won't work with 3D. If I get bigger dice, they can get get their paws under it, and it will be less stable.

And I'm still going to get them and use them and figure out something. Smile
08-11-2016, 11:30 AM,
I've used both methods... blue sticky tack (thankfully it left no residue on the map) and also used the plexi sheets across the top. Plexi is best for a variety of reasons. As long as the 3D or raised terrain piece is not dual sided, you can use any sort of sticky tack or double sided tape to secure it to the plexi. Then you don't have to worry about any residue as it is easily removed with a napkin and a dab of Windex.
08-12-2016, 12:46 AM,
Quote:As long as the 3D or raised terrain piece is not dual sided,

Agree, as some type of soft tack on plexi would be best for single sided. The Conflict of Heroes pieces were double-sided, so that raised the concern when I was thinking about the announced PG pieces, but it could still make stacking for the 40-meter hills interesting.