Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PG - Cold War inventory!
07-15-2016, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016, 03:19 AM by JayTownsend.)
PG - Cold War inventory!
PG – Cold War!

I almost need a separate box at this point to store all my Cold-War Panzer Grenadier items presently. Here is a break-down:

·         Maple Leaf Brigade: adds Canadians to the Cold War action.
·         Aphelion 2015: adds East Germans to the mix.
·         Hammer & Sickle: adds Soviets.
·         Patton’s Nightmare: adds Americans.
·         Red & White: adds Polish units.
·         Secret Weapons: adds British units as I know there is a mix of subjects but there is a few British vs. Soviet units using newer/modern weapons, Cold War scenarios in there.

I sold off Iron Curtain & Polish Steel, as they are pretty much older duplicates of the above!  
07-15-2016, 03:26 AM,
RE: PG - Cold War inventory!
When you think about, the Korean War game series is Cold War as well but it is NOT hypothetical, it is really life Cold War turned Hot!
07-15-2016, 04:42 AM,
Players should definitely re-read 8.23, Special Spotting Powers, before playing Maple Leaf Brigade.
07-15-2016, 06:16 AM,
Good to know, as its not yet shipping.
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM,
Now we need to add a supplement that adds West Germans, Dutch, and Danes, to the PG Cold-War setting, and of course, the full treatment for the BAOR!!
07-15-2016, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016, 01:46 PM by plloyd1010. Edit Reason: added content )
(07-15-2016, 03:14 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I sold off Iron Curtain & Polish Steel, as they are pretty much older duplicates of the above!  

I disagree with you assessment of Iron Curtain. While the counters were recycled for Patton's Nightmare and Hammer & Sickle, the scenarios were not. They are more of a demonstration set and did not follow the current Cold War narrative.

Secret Weapons was an extended war more that than Cold War-Next War setting, sort of like Grossdeutschland: 1946.

Jay, I very much agree with your statement on the Korean war. Defeating the Soviet Union was all about containment. Korea, Vietnam, and dozens of lesser incidents were all about carrying out that strategy.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-16-2016, 04:08 AM,
Peter, Hammer & Sickle includes nineteen of the Iron Curtains scenario; they can be found in the last dozen pages or so of the H&S booklet.

It may explain why I was able to find copies of Iron Curtains for $5 on eBay a year or two ago.
01-29-2017, 09:23 AM,
Early Cold War 1946-1956

How about taking all the Cold War products:
• Hammer & Sickle (Soviets)
• Iron Curtain: Patton’s Nightmare (Americans)
• Iron Curtain: Red and White (Polish)
• Secret Weapons (British) using the British Armor and scenarios from it and adding some Infantry and support units.
• Maple Leaf (Canadians)
• Golden Journal Aphelion 2015 (East Germans)

Create an actual game, using most of the scenarios, create 4 maps actual standalone maps for this game, depicting Europe and the game box instead of have to mix and match games to play, you would have everything in one box to play. I know another company has a series call WaW representing a hypothetical Cold War in the 1985 that seems to work pretty well.

This one could match the Soviets, East Germans vs. the Americans, British, Polish and Canadians in the 1946-1956 period.

I mean I don’t want this to bump my many submitted historical designs but it might be cool in the future if there is enough interest.

AP already has all the materials, they would just have to make the maps, and the box and rewrite the scenarios to match the new maps. No, I have no interest in designing this myself as it is already pretty much finished. Just an idea!
01-29-2017, 10:35 AM,
I would rather see historical games.

If you look at the statistics for the Cold War games, you see very few play entered. While this does not necessarily correlate with sales, it does suggest that the subject may not be that popular.
01-29-2017, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2017, 11:41 AM by JayTownsend.)
Very true, I just thought it would be a good way to compile all the existing supplements into one more playable game.