Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New player, what did I get?
07-09-2016, 02:57 AM,
New player, what did I get?
Hi,

So I got an ancient copy of Airborne a while back to try and learn PG, but the terrain on that map makes it a nightmare.

Got lucky on a job lot on eBay for £40, looks like South flank, Beyond Normandy, Eastern Front, Heroes plus some of the booklets and possibly APGC stuff.

Only issue is the seller lumped it all together, and I have no idea what goes with what as BGG doesn't list everything, especially when it comes to player aids etc. I know there's at least one map missing plus some counters, but I'm trying to work out what I can still run with.

Would anyone be willing to help me out if I post pictures? (Bit at a time obviously) Most of it is OOP from what I gather so I doubt I can scrounge replacement parts, but I'd at least like to see where I stand.

Having a bit of an Aspie/OCD meltdown with it tbh Sad
07-09-2016, 03:07 AM,
RE: New player, what did I get?
Deathninja, sorry I don't have time to post all those picture but you should be able to look up each game over on Boardgamegeek.com and see what or if you are missing anything. Most of those games you mentioned are ancient/older games but South Flank. But South Flank is still an older game without the forth edition rules or charts and most likely laser counters but the newer style maps which is a plus.
07-09-2016, 03:24 AM,
Sorry Jay, crossed wires I think.

I've worked out where most of the unit counters come from, it's the fact about 4 games worth of markers and play aids were all in one box, so I've no idea what game needs what in terms of markers and player aids, that's the main issue as there's no pictures of the play aids or marker sheets for most games.

One quickie that would help though: does anyone know if Red Warriors came with a copy of the Heroes of the Soviet Union Countersheet? got an unpunched copy of that sheet + a punched copy minus a truck, so I suspect both games are present to a degree, BGG is divided on that though.
07-09-2016, 04:38 AM,
That's a great find!

Here are some things that may help you:

For the maps:
Select Library --> Games --> Kurisk: South Flank from the main PG-HQ page and it will display the Kursk: South Flank page.

If you will scroll down a little you will see the 4 maps included in it. If you hover your mouse over a map it will even tell you the map number.

For the Leaders
Select Player Tools --> Impartial Leader Selector.  A page listing all the games and supplements will display.
Click Kursk - South Flank. It will display the Impartial Leader Selector: Kursk - South Flank page 
Click List All KurS Leaders from the ILS Sidebar located on the right, near the top. 
A page listing all the leaders included in the game will display.
You can use the results to help sort out your leaders.

For the Units
I mostly sort my units by nationality so for me it's not an issue.
The countersheets varies a little but in thickness/color by game so you can use the leaders as guide for what is more likely to be included in a game.

I may be able to send you some images via private mail but definitely not until sometimes next week.

For the Rules

Heroes came with second edition rules.
Eastern Front and Beyond Normandy with third edition rules.
Kursk: South Flank was initially released with third edition rules but later shipped with 4th edition rules.

All these games are playable with either third or fourth edition rules. I suggest you download the 4th edition rules and player aids from the URL below if you don't already have them. They're free but you will have to provide a valid email address to receive the download link.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/4E.php

Player Aids

I think the edition number is printed on them. If not, let me know and I will describe them (except for 1st edition which I do not own).

Red Warriors
Red Warriors did indeed come with the Heroes Soviet countersheet.

Suggestion for First Scenario
Click Search -0> Basic Search. It will display the Basic Search page. Select Kursk - South and then click the Search button located at the bottom.

This display the search results page.

The page displays a few basic parameters for each scenario.  You may want to pick a small scenario (say 16 turns or less, 50 or so counters. decent rating).  Something like Scenario #28 - Kliuchi Town may be an excellent choice being a one mapper, 10 turns, 41 counters, and a very good 3.75 rating based upon 8 votes.

Keep in mind ratings are subjective and we all have our preferences. For example, I tend to rate scenarios with over 125 counters a half a point higher than scenarios than less than 50 counters. If you find a player that has similar preferences to you, you can even go to their page and see what other scenarios they liked!
07-09-2016, 06:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016, 06:38 AM by deathninja.)
Thanks Hugmenot, that's a fantastic resource.

So far I've worked out that I have a full copy of Workers & Peasants and a full copy of Red Warriors (minus one truck, which is practically a non-issue).

It looks like a copy of Heroes in here too, got the rules, maps 4 & 6 and the scenario book plus the countersheet, though the ILS looks like it has an error as the Luftwaffe should only have 7 leaders, there's an extra Lieutenant on the list that's been given the Major's statline (9-1-0/9-1-1).

Managed to find a scan of the marker sheet too, just missing a couple of demoralised counters and one that looks like a square wave with UC on the back (entrenchment maybe?), nothing that should affect play.

So that's three down, desperately looking for a scan of later edition information marker sheets (looks like AP switched to full color) so I can do an inventory of those.

The other mystery are these:

[Image: File%2008-07-2016%2021%2029%2051.jpeg]

Look like homebrew counters, some are common units but some are marked "Sturm" 7-2 / 3/2 and "PSK" 2-5 6-0 (single sided). All Heer. No idea where they're from.

Slowly going to get there I think, at any rate it looks like I have enough to play a few scenarios, and I paid less than a full game. I'll definitely splash out on some newer titles if I get on with the system; more money to APL means more sweet, sweet War at Sea after all Tongue
07-09-2016, 07:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM by Poor Yorek.)
I might be mistaken, but those look like Peter Lloyd creations, specifically, the 1945 Volksgrenadier set.
07-09-2016, 07:23 AM,
Some are, after a bit of digging it seems some are also from the Aachen '44 files on AP's site.

I suspect the original owner split up a larger collection, though not cleanly. At least I know those aren't important errata counters.
07-09-2016, 08:12 AM,
Welcome to the system! Post as many pictures as you'd like! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-09-2016, 08:33 AM,
Thanks Shad Smile

I'll post anything that helps, I'm a data scientist by training so I'm a stickler for recording things properly (even more so seeing as I finally graduated this morning Big Grin), right now I'm just trying to take stock.

Next pile o' bits is Eastern Front (the version where it looks like a Tiger ran over Pac-Man), looks like I'm down a map (bugger) but there's a pile of unpunched counter sheets in the box so if anyone has a sheet list I'd be eternally grateful. Also there's a Road to Berlin sheet in there too, so either there's crossover on the counters or I've found the CSI of PG purchases.

What's the status of that query I posted re: the ILS for Heroes of the USSR? The countersheet and ILS don't add up so either I'm missing an errata or there's a typo on the site?

Apologies for all the questions.
07-09-2016, 08:56 AM,
Deathninja,

Maps 4 and 6 were the original boards that came with Heroes.
No "minor" country left behind...