Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elsenborn Ridge or Battle of the Bulge #1 & #2?
04-07-2016, 02:31 AM,
Elsenborn Ridge or Battle of the Bulge #1 & #2?
Good day folks.

I'm hankering for more PG and am considering Elsenborn Ridge; I don't own Battle of the Bulge #1 or Battle of the Bulge #2 - Elsenborn Ridge. My question is this: what is the difference between the games? Does the current version of Elsenborn Ridge include the older games, or do they all contain unique content, (maps, scenarios, counters, etc.)?

I'm interested in Panzer Lehr and recognize that it requires both BOB #1 & BOB #2 (along with Fall of France, Beyond Normandy, etc.)

Thanks!
04-07-2016, 02:54 AM,
RE: Elsenborn Ridge or Battle of the Bulge #1 & #2?
Elsenborn Ridge is a much better game than Battle of the Bulge in my opinion and it is also the game many recommend as an entry point into the series. Furthermore, it is still in print and thus we may see future expansions using it.

Battle of the Bulge was retired.

The two games come with their own specific scenario books, maps, and countersheets.  If you search the map library, maps 9-12 are from Battle of the Bulge, and 22 to 25 from Elsemborn Ridge.  There is no overlap in the scenarios and each box has everything you need to play all of its scenarios.  While the countersheets are different, there will be plenty of overlap as to the unit types.

I would suggest you start with Elsenborn Ridge and later, if you like the series, pick up a copy of Battle of Bulge on teh secondary markets.  It's pretty easy to find for under $25 if you look on eBay regularly.

About Panzer Lehr.  What I would do is go "My PG-HQ" and then select the "Profile".  Add Elsenborn Ridge to your collection and save it.  Then go to Library --> Games, and select Panzer Lehr.  The page should tell you how many of the Panzer Lehr scenarios you could play if you had just Elsenborn Ridge.  You can add games to your profile and see how it affects your results.  The library definitely helped me choose my first few purchases.
04-07-2016, 03:32 AM,
(04-07-2016, 02:54 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Elsenborn Ridge is a much better game than Battle of the Bulge in my opinion and it is also the game many recommend as an entry point into the series. Furthermore, it is still in print and thus we may see future expansions using it.

Battle of the Bulge was retired.

The two games come with their own specific scenario books, maps, and countersheets.  If you search the map library, maps 9-12 are from Battle of the Bulge, and 22 to 25 from Elsemborn Ridge.  There is no overlap in the scenarios and each box has everything you need to play all of its scenarios.  While the countersheets are different, there will be plenty of overlap as to the unit types.

I would suggest you start with Elsenborn Ridge and later, if you like the series, pick up a copy of Battle of Bulge on teh secondary markets.  It's pretty easy to find for under $25 if you look on eBay regularly.

About Panzer Lehr.  What I would do is go "My PG-HQ" and then select the "Profile".  Add Elsenborn Ridge to your collection and save it.  Then go to Library --> Games, and select Panzer Lehr.  The page should tell you how many of the Panzer Lehr scenarios you could play if you had just Elsenborn Ridge.  You can add games to your profile and see how it affects your results.  The library definitely helped me choose my first few purchases.

Extremely helpful information, thank-you Hugmenot!
04-07-2016, 09:35 AM,
Don't forget Winter Soldiers if you get both boxed games. ER was meant to focus on the northern flank and BoB the southern flank WS tells the story of everything else and IIRC just needs those two boxes.