Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Chinese units?
02-18-2016, 01:40 AM,
RE: Chinese units?
Oh, just like a Sylvester Stallone movie!
02-18-2016, 02:57 AM,
At the moment I have laid out 4 Chinese factions and a sub-faction. I'll put up some infantry counters and general force descriptions later this week, or early next (when I will be in China again). I' ll try to get things mostly right, but don't expect I will satisfy anyone's propaganda ministry.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-18-2016, 04:47 AM,
"Oh, just like a Sylvester Stallone movie!"

With the exception of protagonists who are capable of actually forming more than sentence fragments and delivering them in something approaching intelligible speech?
No "minor" country left behind...
02-28-2016, 08:13 PM,
First up we have the Manchukou. They are up first not because anyone likes them, I've just had them the longest.

I first created them as punching bags for the Russians and Japanese. They look a lot like the Japanese, because that is where they got most of their equipment. Basically they are organized the same way up to the regimental level. The equipment is obsolete, and apart from Infantry small arms, rather rare. Artillery and vehicles are interwar and WW1 castoffs. Air power is all but non-existent until 1944, where upon they have enough planes to have support worthy of the late 1930's. Leadership is largely unworthy of the title, low morale and few modifiers.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-28-2016, 08:35 PM,
Next we have the Republic of China. More colloquially refereed to as the Nationalists.

A fairly basic army with all the main components. They have a lot of German equipment that eventually morphs into American hardware. This is because economically China was unreliable. This primarily because the warlords were operating their own sub-countries. As Japan became more of a threat, the U.S. & others were willing to overlook the short comings. Leadership is reasonable in morale and modifiers.

The Republic of China has sub-component, the Kumantong.

These guys are the movement behind the government. They are an anti-foreigner movement which has grown up. Politically they are kind of like the Heimweir in Austria, in that they support China, though not necessarily who is in charge. They don't much like the communists, who they see as a foreign sponsored movement, but have even less love for the Japanese and Manchukuo.
02-28-2016, 08:47 PM,
The next big players are the Communists. This is Mao's movement (but you already knew that).

At this time, the Communists are maybe 20% the size of the Nationalists. The army is very much infantry. They get some, but not much help from the Soviets. They are still around mostly due the problem the Chang was unable to solve, namely  getting rid of the warlords. Leadership is peculiar, if functionally the same as everyone else. Communist military leaders don't have rank, they have jobs, this is a Maoist thing which will change later. No air power, vehicles are acquired by "non-standard". Late in the war there are enough to useful.
02-28-2016, 09:00 PM,
Last we come to the (seriously pain-in-the-butt) warlords.

These are the problem with Chinese politics and economics. They are too weak to be a national force, too strong to be gotten rid of (without another round of civil war). They almost derail the government. Seriously screw up international relations. probably made the Long March successful, certainly gave Mao the opportunity he needed. Their forces are a mix of capable and worthless troops, little artillery (except for show), and highly erratic leadership. Little in the way of heavy infantry weapons, but it does exist.
02-29-2016, 12:51 AM,
Very cool, Peter!
02-29-2016, 04:45 AM,
Looks fantastic, Peter. I'm extremely interested to see how you handle leaders, and if you've written some side-specific special rules. Knowing your attention to detail, I'd bet you already have!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-29-2016, 07:46 AM,
How about another 6 armies.