Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] LOS along a trail
02-02-2016, 06:16 PM,
LOS along a trail
I´m currently playing the kokoda campaign.

Can I shoot along the twisting trails. The hexes are in a straight line but the trail is not and there is a lot of jungle around the trail.

I think LOS is blocked but I´m nowhere sure about that Huh
02-02-2016, 11:14 PM,
RE: LOS along a trail
The trail only negates jungle for movement purposes. For LOS it remains a jungle hex.
No "minor" country left behind...
02-02-2016, 11:57 PM,
Thanks for that clarification. That means a lot of lost units and no shootouts. Jungle fighting seems really harsh Dodgy
02-03-2016, 12:32 AM,
I've found jungle fighting to be more forgiving of bad maneuver decisions, at least when playing without hidden units. After playing a lot of jungle scenarios, it took me a while to be able to maneuver in the open spaces of an Eastern Front game. Jungle is also great for friendly fire casualties from OBA, since you can't spot until your adjacent.

Tom Oxley
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."
02-03-2016, 12:53 AM,
Tom, that may dependent on the game. For example, I find the game length to be more of an issue for the attackers in Burning Tigers than in South Flank, in the sense the attackers have to be more aggressive if they're to accomplish their objectives within the time limit.
02-03-2016, 05:01 AM,
(02-03-2016, 12:53 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Tom, that may dependent on the game.  For example, I find the game length to be more of an issue for the attackers in Burning Tigers than in South Flank, in the sense the attackers have to be more aggressive if they're to accomplish their objectives within the time limit.

Agree on the issue in K:BT, particularly when playing with the Fog of War rules. In scenarios with large numbers of Axis counters, it has been rare not to have a turn end early due to the number of action segments necessary to get all units activated. Some turns go a bit longer at least, but over half of the turns have ended earlier than pass/pass, which puts a lot of pressure on the Germans to get important steps done quickly.
02-03-2016, 07:07 AM,
Something I'd say missed and not commented on almost 100% of the time when talking FOW, big forces and game length ....... is the initiative issue. In big, long scenarios a very useful tactic I'd employ actvely and deliberately would be to destroy as many 'cheap' enemy units as quick and easy as they may show themselves, no matter how insignificant the attack may be in the grand scheme of things.

By this I mean that the idea being that total step-losses on the enemy reduce HIS initiative value. So if it was a 5 to 3 initative line up and the enemy lose initiative for every say 4 steps, I'd actively look for 12 enemy APC's, light armoured AFV's to destroy (especially if worth double points in step losses) as well as battered demoralised units. Don't let them escape, ELIMINATE THEM!

As quick as could be hoped, instead of a 5-3 Initiative advantage it'll be 5-0. This suddenly opens up a possible 5 activation advantage before the defenders even gets to activate one. The point being, you maximise to the fullest the possible available activations. Obviously, combined with excellent leader use, the less experienced PG player will soon be finding that they are moving and firing far more units than they used to.
02-03-2016, 07:22 AM,
Further to the above post, my translation of this tactic as to what it represented in real-life was a kind of Shock & Awe tactic to bash the enemy into a battlefield suprression. After all, what the enemy is seeing is his weaker infantry being taken out and strewn over the landscape, APC's and light armoured AFV's burning all across the battlefield and his AT and ART guns being blown to pieces by OBA. So in those early turns it is a virtual demoralising of the enemy commander represented by that Initiative loss and your ability for more activations before he can even react being increased.