Poll: Do you want an Off-topic forum?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No.
26.32%
5 26.32%
Yes, but opt-in only.
21.05%
4 21.05%
Yes, unrestricted.
52.63%
10 52.63%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you want an Off-topic forum?
01-02-2016, 01:41 PM,
Do you want an Off-topic forum?
We've had the forum for nearly 4 years now and have never had an off-topic area, but because of the friendships I've developed with many of you I often find myself wanting to discuss non-PG stuff. I'm probably not the only one who feels this way. Let's find out!

Here are the three poll options explained:
  1. No. Pretty simple. Keep PG-HQ forums focused exclusively on PG and such as has always been the case.
  2. Yes, but opt-in only. Add an off-topic forum, but members must proactively request access. This adds an element of personal responsibility and premeditation to participation.
  3. Yes, unrestricted. Add an off-topic forum and let the whole world read the ramblings of our ornery members.
I'll leave this up for a week or two to catch feedback. I'd appreciate it if everyone who reads this votes whether you're a regular poster or just a lurker. Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-02-2016, 01:46 PM,
RE: Do you want an Off-topic forum?
I always thought General Discussion was semi off-topic anyway. How about that DIY library?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-02-2016, 01:55 PM,
(01-02-2016, 01:46 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I always thought General Discussion was semi off-topic anyway. How about that DIY library?

Larry slips in a giant squash now and then, but I'd make you roll for disruption if you posted about fishing, car repair, or your recent vacation to Pyongyang. Wink

The DIY Library will be online by our 6th birthday, pinkie swear.
01-02-2016, 02:03 PM,
(01-02-2016, 01:55 PM)Shad Wrote:
(01-02-2016, 01:46 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I always thought General Discussion was semi off-topic anyway. How about that DIY library?

Larry slips in a giant squash now and then, but I'd make you roll for disruption if you posted about fishing, car repair, or your recent vacation to Pyongyang. Wink

The DIY Library will be online by our 6th birthday, pinkie swear.

5 months and 6 days. The alarm has been set.
[Image: wpid-time-bomb.jpg]
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-02-2016, 02:12 PM,
(01-02-2016, 02:03 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The alarm has been set.

[Image: rosie_the_riveter.jpg]
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM,
Sure, but make it a separate folder, so not to mix it with everything, or all game discussion will get buried.
01-02-2016, 05:26 PM,
(01-02-2016, 05:15 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: Sure, but make it a separate folder, so not to mix it with everything, or all game discussion will get buried.

That's the intent, yes, an entirely separate folder for entirely unrelated jibba-jabba.
01-03-2016, 02:03 AM,
Excellent idea, Shad. However, some rule might be needed to keep the threads civil; I sure we have seen many on-line forums degenerate into flame wars. That would be a shame for this one.
01-03-2016, 05:47 AM,
That's exactly why I voted for the opt-in option. I've seen too many flame wars on TMP and Frothers, and I would hate to see that happen here, although with this bunch, the chances of such occurring are far less likely.