Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airborne scenario 16 Zon
12-29-2015, 02:41 AM,
Airborne scenario 16 Zon
There are 2 AAR's for this scenario and 3 plays, but no one has addressed this question; which hex 0109 does the American reinforcements appear on, board 1 or board 3?  If board 1, then the 17 turn game length gives plenty of time for the paratroopers to form up for assault, if board 3, the the Wehrmacht forces need to prepare all around defense.
12-29-2015, 12:07 PM,
RE: Airborne scenario 16 Zon
It's been almost four years since I played it, but if I recall correctly I had all the Americans start on the same side of the river.  BTW, I believe this is the bridge that blew up in front of Elliot Gould in A Bridge Too Far.
12-29-2015, 12:17 PM,
(12-29-2015, 12:07 PM)rerathbun Wrote: It's been almost four years since I played it, but if I recall correctly I had all the Americans start on the same side of the river.  BTW, I believe this is the bridge that blew up in front of Elliot Gould in A Bridge Too Far.

If reinforcements enter from map three, then the presence of the wagons makes more sense, as does the requirement in the special rules that one of the three Wehrmacht officers set up with troops.  That allows 2 officers to call in bombardment in either approach direction.  And the wagon can relocate troops if the Axis player bets on having several turns before reinforcements show up.  Wehrmacht set up area is anywhere along the canal and within 4 of the town hexes on board 3.
12-30-2015, 02:48 PM,
So far the scenario is replicating history exactly.  The 82nd formed up and charged the bridge, the 88 battery disrupted the paratroopers, and the Germans blew the bridge, all in turn 2. The fight is just beginning, as the Americans have 15 more turns to seize control of the bridge hex.

This does lead to further questions.  When a river runs through the center of a hex, how do you designate which side of the river is held by your forces?  A whole Wehrmacht platoon was set up in the hex.  When the bridge is blown, I assume squad or two is cut off.  Historically, 3 soldaten were on the "American" side of the Wilhelmina Canal after the bridge was blown.  I suspect to take a blown bridge hex requires the paras to occupy it from both sides of the river.

Historically, the paras did take the bridge, and since the center span didn't fall the para engineers restored leg crossing capability within 4 hours.
12-30-2015, 03:43 PM,
Regarding what is held, as the Americans, any hex you have not yet entered is still under German control. If you haven't advanced beyond the bridge hex then you don't control the far bank.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
12-31-2015, 02:05 AM,
I am not sure I understand the question.

A hex is either controlled or contested in its entirety, regardless of whether a river runs through it and there are two banks.

If blowing up a bridge, you decide on which side of the river your units are in. Use the riverbank markers from 4th edition to mark their status if needed.
12-31-2015, 04:53 AM,
(12-31-2015, 02:05 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I am not sure I understand the question.

A hex is either controlled or contested in its entirety, regardless of whether a river runs through it and there are two banks.

If blowing up a bridge, you decide on which side of the river your units are in. Use the riverbank markers from 4th edition to mark their status if needed.

I'm projecting ATS squad-level questions on a platoon level game.  I'll just treat the entire hex as assault vulnerable, despite the blown bridge.

Moral, make rivers follow hexsides.:-)