River Defense
11-06-2015, 11:05 PM,
RE: River Defense
That looks VERY familiar

and VERY fun!!!
No "minor" country left behind...
11-07-2015, 12:44 AM,
Do the Slovaks have one leader with a morale modifier? If not, this will be really tough on them.
11-07-2015, 02:12 AM,
I'll have to check when they go downstairs, and I think the guy being assaulted by the river (0805) has a morale modifier. In my original set-up, before reading the AARs, I wasn't planning on holding the bridge as strongly, and it's a crappy leader there (7-0-0, I think).

One interesting thing here is that, even though the Hungarians have tanks (such as they are) assaulting with infantry, the don't get the column shift. They probably did under 3e, and the 4e rules only give that for efficient AFVs.

There's a stack of 2 Hungarian HMGs plus a AFV in the town (0610) that's causing all sorts of trouble. 18 FP, even with 2 shifts against, can be dangerous. And I've changed my thinking on stacking 3 high in this scenario. With the low FP, it's really helping the Hungarians to stack, as they have the numbers to replace guys when others get demoralized. At least for now. I hate using the 11-1-1 leader for rallying purposes, and there are 5 demoralized platoons, including one of engineers on the wrong side of the river.
11-07-2015, 05:06 AM,
The Hungarian tanks did not provide a column shift bonus in 3rd edition either. But once the AT guns were silenced, they could move adjacent to the Slovaks infantry units and fire away without being much at risk from return direct fire. Even if the Slovaks decided to assault to silence them, the Hungarian player gained something by these Slovak units no longer being dug in.
11-16-2015, 08:53 AM,
This ended up a draw (see my AAR) and was as fun as others have mentioned. However, in most be the bridge position eventually collapsed.