Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better late than never.......
10-18-2015, 02:50 PM,
Better late than never.......
I was comparing the four published orders of battle for Bogdanovo and calculated the point value of the forces in the original version of the scenario:  6th Panzer equals 2205 build points, while the 355th Rifle Division comes to 819 build points.  I was considering doing several o.b. variations using the Point modifier table and the rules for trading morale levels for build points.  Turns out the Pz 111h's point value is a blank line in the unit cost chart.  I'm treating it as a 120 point unit, but that's just my guess.  Did anyone write to Avalanche about this back in 2002?
10-19-2015, 07:38 AM,
RE: Better late than never.......
(10-18-2015, 02:50 PM)larry marak Wrote: I was comparing the four published orders of battle for Bogdanovo and calculated the point value of the forces in the original version of the scenario:  6th Panzer equals 2205 build points, while the 355th Rifle Division comes to 819 build points.  I was considering doing several o.b. variations using the Point modifier table and the rules for trading morale levels for build points.  Turns out the Pz 111h's point value is a blank line in the unit cost chart.  I'm treating it as a 120 point unit, but that's just my guess.  Did anyone write to Avalanche about this back in 2002?
John Stafford and I both puzzled over the firstedition build point system.  When PG was born the designers wanted to expand the groundwork laid out for its predecessor, PanzerBlitz.  We each fiddled with different formulas, trying to figure out what Mike and Brian were up to.  I think I may have figured out what the unit costs represent.  These are NOT a representation of the combat effectiveness of the units, leaders or o.b.a.  Instead the numbers represent the ECONOMIC cost in materials, training, and the manpower pools of each combatant.

No wonder these calculations were dropped by the time HoSU was released.  Imagine the work.

This point system also demonstrates one reason why the Soviet Union won the great patriotic war.  In scenario 1 of PG,  the RKKA could stand up against the Wehrmacht at less than half the cost in national resources.  Looked at from the Hitlerite point of view, losses were more than twice as costly.  

If my hunch is well founded, then PG portrays the human factors, the mechanical factors, and the economic factors of the battlefield. :-)