Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VASSAL Scenarios
10-03-2015, 10:15 AM,
VASSAL Scenarios
First of all, thanks to Peter Lloyd and Drew Heath (I feel weird using your real name) for the Elsenborn Ridge module.  Now, if you know me, you'd know I'm sometimes often prone to a bit of OCD.  So, I think to myself.  "What's missing here?"  And, of course, it's the scenarios.  So I'm going to make up .vsav files for each scenario, sans leaders, of course.  When I'm all done, I'll probably zip them all up, and for now, here are the 1st two.  I'm open to suggestions on how to do this most efficiently.

Note that I created the 1st one as "Solitaire" and the 2nd one as "Observer."  It might be in the 1st one that you have to resign as Solitaire to become one side or the other.  I can resave it if that becomes an issue.  Update to this.  When I was "Observer", it wouldn't let me select units.  So, I'm Solitaire in both, and you likely do have to retire and pick a specific side.

Also, to save you hunting around, all pieces are in the Off-Map Holding window, and generally stacked to save space.

Attached Files
.zip   ER Scenario Samples.zip (Size: 24.8 KB / Downloads: 3)
10-03-2015, 11:02 AM,
RE: VASSAL Scenarios
Well Josh, as an interested party, I think that is quite useful. On the other hand, I know how concerned Dr. Mike is about is about wild versions of his copyrights. I am just saying tread carefully, lest there be problems for PG-HQ. It took Drew a fair amount negotiating to get the site going. If you were to adapt the Panzer Leader scenarios, I don't think anyone could argue very much. Just keep it in mind.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-03-2015, 12:35 PM,
Well, I thought about that, and these files don't have leaders, and don't even say the number of leaders. They have the maps, but they don't have set-up, game length, morale, special rules or victory conditions. So, it's not like you can particularly play the scenarios. It just saves 10-15 minutes of set-up time.
10-04-2015, 12:40 AM,
I would think a minimum of map configuration wouldn't be a problem but who knows.
11-27-2015, 11:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2015, 11:43 PM by Shad.)
(10-03-2015, 10:15 AM)J6A Wrote: Drew Heath (I feel weird using your real name)

So do I... most of my coworkers don't even know it! Big Grin But I'm happy you do! My name in these parts is 赫安哲!

(10-03-2015, 11:02 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: lest there be problems for PG-HQ.

Good to be concerned, but I think we'll be ok. In the grand scheme of things a few vsavs is a almost nothing. The real meat is that page in the scenario book.

(10-03-2015, 12:35 PM)J6A Wrote: It just saves 10-15 minutes of set-up time.

And there are still many scenarios with variable setup, so I say go for it! The more PGers on VASSAL the better!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-28-2015, 03:24 AM,
(11-27-2015, 11:43 PM)Shad Wrote: My name in these parts is 赫安哲!
How do you pronounce that?
11-28-2015, 09:52 AM,
(11-28-2015, 03:24 AM)rerathbun Wrote:

Are you silly Robin. Its pronounced ....  " 赫安哲 "
11-28-2015, 11:12 AM,
(11-28-2015, 09:52 AM)vince hughes Wrote:

Didn't know you speak Chinese too, Vince!  Big Grin

It's pronounced hè ān zhé  Cool
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-29-2015, 12:44 AM,
Quote: The more PGers on VASSAL the better!
As a newbie to the site and certainly not a vintage player (other than in age that is), I have hesitancy to comment on the APL position. However, I believe they have made a huge marketing mistake in not being more Vassal-friendly. As one who has used Vassal for other games in this same genre, the lack of ability to play online was definitely the biggest impediment to my finally playing this great game. Over the years, I had looked at many of APL's offerings, but made very few purchases because of the inability to have online opponents. When one lives miles away from a LGS, where most of what is played is fantasy stuff anyhow, it's either solo or Vassal; my guess is that I'm not alone in this regard. When competing games like CC, BoB, and many others have Vassal mods, it would seem prudent for APL to embrace this approach rather than fight it. For a comparison in roughly in the same genre, look at the success of GMT with Combat Commander versus Academy Games with Conflict of Heroes. GMT has fully embraced Vassal play, even by providing free Ventrilo access for those who don't Skype. Otoh, Academy contracted with a third party to market a PC version of CoH that doesn't offer the flexibilty of Vassal. GMT has been very successful, while the CoH PC game forum is pretty much a dead zone. On the financial side, you really can't play CC online unless you own the actual game because the tables are necessary for play; it would seem that this is similar for PG. Ergo, I just don't understand the reticence to seriously jump into Vassal support for this great game.
And, having discovered this site, there is no question that PG has the best online site of any game in the genre. The PG-HQ is amazing, a truly remarkable resource and repository......thanks to all who make it that way!
11-29-2015, 02:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015, 02:19 AM by rerathbun.)
(11-28-2015, 09:52 AM)vince hughes Wrote:

Vince, you owe me an new keyboard and a mouthful of coffee . . .  Big Grin