Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cajones
10-03-2015, 02:07 AM,
Cajones
I was just printing out copies of the current (3rd edition) learn Panzer Grenadier in 5 minutes sheet to hand out to new players, when I bothered to really read the title of the page.  "The world's most popular tactical combat game".  I guess its great to know PG has finally passed ASL in popularity Angel
10-03-2015, 11:05 AM,
RE: Cajones
Good to know. I never much liked ASL anyway, had to be a rules lawyer all the time.

-- His most Imperial Majesty Peter ;-)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-04-2015, 12:39 AM,
I liked the challege of ASL back then but I was also an SFB player back when it was known as the errate factory.
10-06-2015, 09:15 PM,
I have to admit, I cut my teeth on SL/ASL. ASL, IMO, is to skirmish level WW2 gaming as Empire is to Napoleonics. The level of detail is simply astounding, but to Peter's point, yes, you had to be somewhat of a rules lawyer.

In both cases, I was involved with a group whose single purpose in gaming was that particular set of rules. We could play out multiple ASL scenarios on a Saturday afternoon; we knew the rules that well. The same holds true for Empire. We were so well versed in both sets that we achieved subject matter expertise. One of the guys, Pat, had a leader counter named for him in ASL #10, Croix de Guerre (Cpl Flory). 

While similar in scope, ASL and PG are quite different. ASL focused on the smallest of unit tactics; that of the squad or half squad. PG focuses on the platoon as its basis for movement and combat. I would submit that PG is more in line with miniatures rules such as Command Decision than with ASL. 

I haven't played ASL in a while (although those boxed games on the book shelf are calling to me....). Might be time to have a refresher read and get in a little east front action!!!
10-07-2015, 12:25 AM,
My wargaming experience began with Panzerblitz, and the platoon level game has remained close to my heart. I followed all the developments from different publishers of tactical gaming at that level till PG arrived, and I found there (imho) the perfect meeting of metal and human factors, as well as a publisher who is deep into history.

I went from SL to ATS some years ago, and like your friend have a leader counter (2 actually) in several Critical Hit ATS releases. ATS plays twice as fast as ASL, is more acurate (due to the results derived from alternating activation, the key to PG's) play, but the rules are a quagmire unfortunately. I still play it, but usually at basic game level nowadays.