Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entrenchments and Terrain
10-03-2015, 01:39 AM,
Entrenchments and Terrain
Does an entrenchment in the jungle (I've been playing Saipan, it could apply to similar terrain elsewhere) give 4 column shifts against or 2?  The Direct Fire chart specifically says that an entrenchment in a town is a maximum of -2 shifts, however they are on the same modifier line, while jungles are on a separate one.  This becomes an issue when units come adjacent to an entrenchment.  The -2 for the entrenchment cancels the -2 for adjacent, and do the defenders still get additional protection from the base terrain?
10-03-2015, 04:28 AM,
RE: Entrenchments and Terrain
In 4th edition:

Jungle is limiting terrain and thus Direct Fire against a Jungle hex containing an Entrenchment would be subject to a -1 column modifier for jungle and another -1 column modifier for entrenchment in other limiting terrain. Keep in mind the -2 to +3 limit for the total DF modifiers.

In 3rd edition:

Jungle is limiting terrain and thus Direct Fire against a Jungle hex containing an Entrenchment would be subject to a -1 column modifier for jungle and another column modifier for entrenchment. I would play with the -1 column modifier because I think the (-1 if the entrenchment is in town or woods) is the closest match but I can see why players may argue to use the -2 column modifier for entrenchment. Keep in mind the -2 to +3 limit for the total DF modifier.

About your other question. In either version, the defenders get additional protection from the base terrain unless specified otherwise on TEC.
10-03-2015, 05:29 AM,
Right, it was because of the total modifiers that I was having an issue. I was stacking 3 high in jungle entrenchments because if I got -2 for each (jungle/entrenchment...or is jungle -1, I don't have the charts handy), the +1 for having 3 units didn't make a difference because of the -2 limit.

Let me say that 2 Marine HMGs (24 FP) firing at max range against entrenchments can still hurt them. Because of the -2 limit, they are still firing on the 11 column all the time.
10-03-2015, 07:45 AM,
(10-03-2015, 05:29 AM)J6A Wrote: Right, it was because of the total modifiers that I was having an issue.  I was stacking 3 high in jungle entrenchments because if I got -2 for each (jungle/entrenchment...or is jungle -1, I don't have the charts handy), the +1 for having 3 units didn't make a difference because of the -2 limit.

Let me say that 2 Marine HMGs (24 FP) firing at max range against entrenchments can still hurt them.  Because of the -2 limit, they are still firing on the 11 column all the time.

Put 4 of them together with an officer with a combat modifier and you'll be firing on the 22 column!
No "minor" country left behind...
10-03-2015, 09:59 AM,
(10-03-2015, 07:45 AM)Matt W Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 05:29 AM)J6A Wrote: Right, it was because of the total modifiers that I was having an issue.  I was stacking 3 high in jungle entrenchments because if I got -2 for each (jungle/entrenchment...or is jungle -1, I don't have the charts handy), the +1 for having 3 units didn't make a difference because of the -2 limit.

Let me say that 2 Marine HMGs (24 FP) firing at max range against entrenchments can still hurt them.  Because of the -2 limit, they are still firing on the 11 column all the time.

Put 4 of them together with an officer with a combat modifier and you'll be firing on the 22 column!

This gets tougher in the jungle where guys can only command their own hex.  And yeah, I think I would have set up the Japanese in the last scenario I played (23) differently if the Marines had more HMG.  I would have put them much farther back to make the HMG waste most of the scenario just getting to them.  Yeesh.  22 when entrenched.  That's painful!
10-06-2015, 10:03 PM,
If there's one thing that Marines bring to the fight, it's firepower!!!