Poll: pick your choice below
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Battle of the Bulge
29.63%
8 29.63%
Afrika Korps
3.70%
1 3.70%
Guadalcanal
3.70%
1 3.70%
East Front
14.81%
4 14.81%
Road to Berlin
37.04%
10 37.04%
Desert Rats
3.70%
1 3.70%
Another title I missed
7.41%
2 7.41%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Guessing Avalanche
09-30-2015, 12:25 AM,
Second Guessing Avalanche
Knowing as we all do how slow the pace of new product has been over the last 8 years  (thank God and Mike it is still coming) or (Avalanche is the game company of the future and always will be) your pick; which one out of print 3rd edition game would you have kept in print pending of replacement titles?
09-30-2015, 12:58 AM,
RE: Second Guessing Avalanche
Didn't see East Front but I still think RtB. It's the one I started with and played the most. Either of those is indespensible
09-30-2015, 01:21 AM,
None, which is not a poll option.

4th edition products are more focused and will have a story arc. Of the above, only Guadalcanal would lend itself to such a story arc. But Gaudalcalnal
* has a low rating (2.99)
* does not include geomorphic maps (something Mike said all 4th edition games will include)
* include hidden movement for most of its scenarios.
* is used by only Kokoda Trail (which will be re-released as a box game) and other OOP supplements.
so I don't see any good reason why it should have been kept in print.

Desert Rats and Afrika Korps do not include geomorphic maps so they were also not a possibility.

Eastern Front Deluxe and Road to Berlin are not focused enough. The scenarios for Eastern Front Deluxe feel dated.
09-30-2015, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2015, 03:20 AM by larry marak.)
Guadalcanal is something of a giveaway because the some or all (don't know yet) of the Japanese countersheet from Guad and the Australians from DR will be reprinted (or are these leftover stock) fairly shortly. That still leaves 1942 Marines out of the picture though. Guad was used just for Kokoda Trail, Nihon Silk, and Alaska's War, that I recall off hand.

A.K. and D.R. are also used in South Africa's War, Tank Battles, Carpathian Brigade, Alaska's War (map) Edelweiss (3 of the 4 versions), C&CV2, Dak 44, Secret Weapons, Waltzing Maltilda, Division Corrazata, and Grossdeutschland 46. The playing area involved equals the footprint of 15 panels.
09-30-2015, 04:04 AM,
The counters from the upcoming Kokoda Trail box game are existing stock, not reprints of old counters. The Australians are from Afrika Korps, not Desert Rats.

All the supplements you listed are out of print.

Kokoda Trail can be manufactured quickly because the components typically requiring the most lead time and the services of a professional artist (maps and counters) are already in stock and paid for a long time ago. Boxes can require a long lead time too but as Avalanche Press is just using a standard box with a box sleeve, I think it shortens the lead time considerably. Susan is very quick at laying out the scenario book and as I believe it will be printed locally, the scenario book will only require a very short lead time (Matt and I are the bottlenecks in this case).
09-30-2015, 06:14 AM,
Oh sure, point the finger at us...
No "minor" country left behind...
09-30-2015, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 12:43 AM by zaarin7. Edit Reason: added suplements still needed BoB )
I voted for Battle of the Bulge because it's needed for Winter Soldiers and Panzer Lehr which are still in print.
10-03-2015, 01:36 AM,
(09-30-2015, 12:58 AM)ParaMarine Wrote: Didn't see East Front but I still think RtB.  It's the one I started with and played the most.  Either of those is indespensible

RtB sort of embodies Panzer Grenadier.  Lots of scenarios, lots of tanks, and the cool late war tanks.  I think having something to cover this is going to be a big deal for APL.
10-03-2015, 02:04 AM,
Road to Berlin covered 1945. I'm sure it will return in some revised format. Needed are 1944 in the north..Operation Begration, and a personal favorite suggested back in 2007...Red Eagles, covering combats seen by the Polish divisions, corp and army organized and funded by the Soviet Union.
10-03-2015, 07:52 AM,
I've long hoped they woud do Bagration. There were some serious fights to break the line in the first few days then as the Soviet's out ran there supply source and Naxi reserves arrived some good scenario possibillties at the end.