Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappointed... again
09-21-2015, 07:52 AM,
Disappointed... again
I've been away at NAS Jacksonville for the Chief Petty Officer initiation season (I'm a Navy Chief). I just returned to find some mail on my desk, and I was very happy to see a package from AP. The contents included the Land Cruisers supplement, and the previously ordered Texas Division.

I'm starting to believe that Quality Control/Quality Assurance must be an after thought. Both sets of counters are lacking, in my opinion. The Texas division counters are very dark; to the point where the unique patch is indistinguishable on the tabletop, from the standard eye-in-the-sky view. I can deal with that, as the print quality is good. What really irks me is, once again, the counters that I received (Land Cruisers) suffered some sort of print anomaly whereby the names and numbers seem to be superimposed. It looks like double vision. Someone here told me that this was due to vibration during the print process (when the same thing happened to my Saipan counters).  I'm really getting annoyed at this lack of QC/QA!!!! These things aren't cheap, and I expect a little more quality assurance if AP wants to continue earning my $$$. I've always been a proponent of supporting a company's products direct from market versus third party, but if this is what I'm going to expect going forward, then I'll just wait for someone to get tired of their collection and pick it up on Ebay!!!
09-22-2015, 12:17 AM,
RE: Disappointed... again
Sometimes contrast can be a bear. My Land Cruisers have a series of narrow vertical stripes superimposed on the background color...it might be a deliberate effort to make them stand out from other, similar colors. On the Marshall's Fist countersheet the division symbol was printed in a shade of bright chartreause on a light gray background...clear but sort of hurts the eyes.
09-29-2015, 09:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM by JayTownsend.)
I passed this information on to Mike.
10-20-2015, 07:52 AM,
(10-20-2015, 06:46 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 09:36 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I past this information on to Mike.

And That will do what, Mike saw the counters leave the company, He  doesn't care!  I told him my Saipan Counters were messed up, never heard anything back. No biggie, I  still love, if not only for the maps.

Careful... While I take issue with the quality control at times, Mike has always done right by me. My Saipan counters were of poor quality and he sent a replacement set. All he asked was that I return the other set so that he could receive credit from the print shop. The same holds true for the Land Cruisers set; the quality was poor, and he sent a replacement set. Same deal applies... I owe him the other set for credit purposes.

I have a different perspective than many of the PG faithful, because I own my own miniatures company. I am a one man operation, although my kids and wife do help at conventions by manning the booth while I maintain business ties. From that perspective, I take a personal interest in my quality assurance processes because I don;t want to have to replace things. It costs money to do so, and in an industry where profit margins are small to begin with, postage for quality check errors goes directly against the bottom line. Therefore, I do my best to avoid those errors, and then I do a little more to ensure those errors don't exist. That's my beef with Dr. Mike, as I would expect him to take a similar philosophy. 

To insinuate that he doesn't care is entirely off the mark. If you are having difficulty reaching him, there are members here such as Jay who have direct access to him, and will gladly advocate on your behalf.
10-20-2015, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 08:31 AM by nicky_longbranch.)
(10-20-2015, 07:52 AM)Coniglius Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 06:46 AM)nicky_longbranch Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 09:36 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I past this information on to Mike.

And That will do what, Mike saw the counters leave the company, He  doesn't care!  I told him my Saipan Counters were messed up, never heard anything back. No biggie, I  still love, if not only for the maps.

Careful... While I take issue with the quality control at times, Mike has always done right by me. My Saipan counters were of poor quality and he sent a replacement set. All he asked was that I return the other set so that he could receive credit from the print shop. The same holds true for the Land Cruisers set; the quality was poor, and he sent a replacement set. Same deal applies... I owe him the other set for credit purposes.

I have a different perspective than many of the PG faithful, because I own my own miniatures company. I am a one man operation, although my kids and wife do help at conventions by manning the booth while I maintain business ties. From that perspective, I take a personal interest in my quality assurance processes because I don;t want to have to replace things. It costs money to do so, and in an industry where profit margins are small to begin with, postage for quality check errors goes directly against the bottom line. Therefore, I do my best to avoid those errors, and then I do a little more to ensure those errors don't exist. That's my beef with Dr. Mike, as I would expect him to take a similar philosophy. 

To insinuate that he doesn't care is entirely off the mark. If you are having difficulty reaching him, there are members here such as Jay who have direct access to him, and will gladly advocate on your behalf.
"Careful".LOL  I've had occasion to deal with Mr. Benninghof several times.  For months he ignored my emails, and it wasn't until I got the great guys from this site to help me out, that I  ever received an answer, and never from him, but from Jay! Thats not okay, I shouldn't have to rely on people outside of Avalanche Press customer service in order to resolve an issue.  And I am far from the only one who's had significant problem with AP in the past. I  commend Mike for the 180 degree turn around that has occurred over the past year. AP is def back and still has some work to do, but is def on the road to being one of the best. Quality is still an issue though, and its the easiest thing to control, it is completely within his power! Now I don't make boardgames or miniatures, or magic cards or anything involving leisure activities, but i do write and if i send in garbage that hasn't been checked for quality I am in big trouble.,OR I f I forget to clean my weapon and go out on a patrol and it doesn't fire, i'm screwed. This should not be going on still, its more of "I'll send it out and maybe they won't complain, and If they do, I'll take care of it then." Not a good philosophy, but to each his own. I don't buy direct from AP, gave it up after Conquest of Ethiopia.  Perhaps I was too harsh in my previous comment. I'm sure he cares and will fix it.