Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now for something completely different.
09-11-2015, 10:09 AM,
Now for something completely different.
Anyone try ahistorically replacing forces from one division with another in scenarios.  Currently gold clubbers have been able to pick up division sets for the Moscow Militia Division (1941) Morocain Division (1940) the Finnish armored division (1944) the Spearhead division (1944) first Panzer (1941) , GD 43, GD 44,  the new unamed set currently being offered, and others as they become available.  I've played out a few Africa Korps scenarios using Morocain forces with appropriate 1940's French armor...sort of Mussolini strikes West instead of the historical East.  GD 43 was printed to be substiuted into Kursk NF scenarios, but it can be commited as a substitute force into any 1943 early 1944 action from Eastern Front.  Haven't figured out where to insert GD or Lehr or Spearhead into Cassino yet, but its tempting.  Of course I haven't received Spearhead yet and didn't order 1st Pz or Moscow Militia, so I don't know if they've been shipped yet.

With the AAD maps, Fr 40 and Morrocain counters, and Italians from AK and DR, one could create quite an enjoyable series of scenarios for Tunisia 1940.
09-12-2015, 07:12 AM,
RE: Now for something completely different.
(09-11-2015, 10:09 AM)larry marak Wrote: Anyone try ahistorically replacing forces from one division with another in scenarios.  Currently gold clubbers have been able to pick up division sets for the Moscow Militia Division (1941) Morocain Division (1940) the Finnish armored division (1944) the Spearhead division (1944) first Panzer (1941) , GD 43, GD 44,  the new unamed set currently being offered, and others as they become available.  I've played out a few Africa Korps scenarios using Morocain forces with appropriate 1940's French armor...sort of Mussolini strikes West instead of the historical East.  GD 43 was printed to be substiuted into Kursk NF scenarios, but it can be commited as a substitute force into any 1943 early 1944 action from Eastern Front.  Haven't figured out where to insert GD or Lehr or Spearhead into Cassino yet, but its tempting.  Of course I haven't received Spearhead yet and didn't order 1st Pz or Moscow Militia, so I don't know if they've been shipped yet.

With the AAD maps, Fr 40 and Morrocain counters, and Italians from AK and DR, one could create quite an enjoyable series of scenarios for Tunisia 1940.
Mmmmhhh. It might happen...
09-12-2015, 07:47 AM,
I don't have any GD mods.   Sad

Maybe I will put Panzer Lehr into RtB or Broken Axis, when it gets here.

If we're really going balls out, NKs might find themselves facing Panther IIs!
09-12-2015, 09:35 AM,
We've got a mature & robust system here folks. PG is not just historical simulation, its also a gladiatorial arena. NK vs GD46 is technologically balanced, and would be strange but fun to play out.
09-18-2015, 01:21 AM,
(09-11-2015, 10:09 AM)larry marak Wrote: With the AAD maps, Fr 40 and Morrocain counters, and Italians from AK and DR, one could create quite an enjoyable series of scenarios for Tunisia 1940.

One of the AAD scenarios features 7e Régiment de Tirailleurs Marocains vs Germans or Italians (i don't remember). That 7e RTM is the same unit as the one brillantly defending Gembloux in the Fall of France. So, you could use the new red Morrocan counters.
However be aware that the French troops in Tunisa were not very well equipped : the men were the same, the weapons were few.
09-18-2015, 03:47 AM,
7th Regiment.
Were they employed again near Cassino?
09-18-2015, 09:58 AM,
(09-18-2015, 03:47 AM)otto Wrote: 7th Regiment.

7e RTM was disbanded in 1944 but some of its battalions were sent in Italy to form new units. From what I remember, the 5e RTM and 8e RTM were famous at Cassino.
09-18-2015, 09:37 PM,
(09-18-2015, 03:47 AM)otto Wrote: 7th Regiment.

The case of the 7e RTM is clearly emblematic. On 8 and 9 November 1942, the unit fought against the Americans near Port-Liautey (Morocco). Even if the French opposition to the US landings was "half-hearted", the fighting was harsh and there were casualties on both sides.
Afterwards the 7e RTM was sent in Tunisia (eastern dorsale) fighting the Italians (and some Germans too) but there were problems : the unit performance was not very good (few successes) and, worse, several commanding officers left their troops to join the Axis forces (well-known vichyists).
At the end of May 43 when De Gaulle's Free French forces joined the Allies in Tunisia, the 7e RTM was still considered a Vichyist group and left out of the honors. Eventually, the unit was divided, renamed and included in the 3e Division d'Infanterie Algérienne.
Nine months later, the Bataillon de Gabès fought gloriously on Monte Cassino.