Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Winter Storm 250/10
08-06-2015, 12:19 AM,
The Winter Storm 250/10
This is mostly for Keith, who was asking about the download over on BGG. I suppose the rest of you can join in if you really, really, really, really want too. [Image: tongue.gif]

Anyway, Norm Smith had this unit to work with:
[Image: 1143-0.png]
If you follow the nomenclature, it is really a leichte Schützenpanzerwagen (3.7cm PaK). Obviously not SPAA.

The new counter is this:
[Image: 999-0.png]
The problem here is that the SdKfz 10 was unarmored. Essentially a 1/2 truck.

That is why in the reinforcement note for that unit says that it is probably the SdKfz 251/17, or less likely they SdKfz 250/9.

So that is the back of the back story.

Side note: The SK 10/4 in Burning Tigers & Liberation '44 should technically be unarmored, or be renamed SK 250/9.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-06-2015, 02:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2015, 02:27 AM by zaarin7. Edit Reason: spelling )
RE: The Winter Storm 250/10
Actually they did put light armor on the cab and engine without changing the nomencltaure at all. That was done on both the SdKfz 7/1 and 10/4. That could be what's represented and the armor system grain is not able to show it any better.
08-06-2015, 02:34 AM,
Firstly, I don't think the cab got armored until the SdKfz 10/5. Secondly, it doesn't protect the gun crew what so ever. (BtW: I've never been too impressed with idea of giving the SdKfz 7 variants an armor value.) In any case, changing the name in the game doesn't change the values.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-07-2015, 07:16 AM,
From "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two":

SdKfz 10/4 had an armored cab/engine but no date.
SdKfz 10/5 had one as you mentioned.
SdKfz 7/1, 7/2 had one late 1943.
SdKfz 6/2 not mentioned or pictured as having one.

I guess the ultimate solution is prior to 9 or 10/43 treat all these vehicles as un-armored targets.
08-07-2015, 08:24 AM,
I'm not advocating changing anything as far as the counters or their usage is concerned (apart from the weird things people like me do on our own). My only point is that the counter is labeled incorrectly in regard to its values. Since the values on the counter are the important issue in game play, leave it alone and on with the game.

When it comes to the armored cabs, they don't make the unit any more armored on this scale than the gun shields do on the AT guns. The cab armor is only in the 4-6mm range, and is only protecting the driver and his buddy. I speculate that somewhere along the line, Dr. Mike, Mr. Kipple, or someone else decided the Germans need an armored prime-mover. The SdKfz 7 got the job, and now we have an esoteric, and completely academic, argument over it.
08-10-2015, 08:45 PM,
(08-07-2015, 08:24 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I'm not advocating changing anything as far as the counters or their usage is concerned (apart from the weird things people like me do on our own). My only point is that the counter is labeled incorrectly in regard to its values. Since the values on the counter are the important issue in game play, leave it alone and on with the game.

When it comes to the armored cabs, they don't make the unit any more armored on this scale than the gun shields do on the AT guns. The cab armor is only in the 4-6mm range, and is only protecting the driver and his buddy. I speculate that somewhere along the line, Dr. Mike, Mr. Kipple, or someone else decided the Germans need an armored prime-mover. The SdKfz 7 got the job, and now we have an esoteric, and completely academic, argument over it.
Hello Peter. Any more comments regarding the AA vehicles as specified in the "counter stats" thread on the General Discussion ?