Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vassal (again no doubt)
06-15-2015, 12:46 AM,
Vassal (again no doubt)
Hi Guys

I am trying to put together my own Vassal module for personal use (One Laptop to carry around as opposed to 50 Boxes or so) and am running into all sorts of problems. Is there anyone out there who has succeeded in putting together something half decent I can crib from. I have pretty much worked out including all the maps and getting them to work but the units and general "workings" are what is causing me problems.

Thanks

Dave
06-15-2015, 02:17 AM,
RE: Vassal (again no doubt)
Look over at my thread of Taking PG on the road. I have working samples of maps, combat units, transport, and various random counters. There should be all the mechanics you need to build out a pretty good module, you add the graphics.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-15-2015, 02:31 AM,
Download the Panzer Grenadier: Airborne VASSAL module from the Avalanche Press webstore, Online Play Modules section to see a well functioning Vassal module. 

Shad may have a latter version of the module (he is the author).
06-15-2015, 03:38 AM,
I don't think Drew been doing anything Airborne since v1.1. I created a random Leader draw add-on for it. It's largely superfluous if you use the Impartial Leader Selector. If you use the add-on, remember to read the notes, otherwise you'll not get the leader counters to flip. I mad a v1.3 a while back to incorporate the random leaders and the M22 airborne tank.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-15-2015, 08:31 AM,
In addition to what's already been mentioned, I brought Elsenborn up to around 80% completion last fall and then couldn't invest anymore time in the project. Peter has graciously picked up the project, redesigned some iffy bits, and polished it significantly. We're in final testing and will probably submit it to AP by the end of this week.

@spackweasel, your greatest obstacle will be procuring high quality map artwork. I'd love a Cassino or Africa Korps module but the maps are virtually unscannable.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-15-2015, 09:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM by rerathbun.)
(06-15-2015, 08:31 AM)Shad Wrote: I'd love a Cassino or Africa Korps module but the maps are virtually unscannable.

I may be able to do something about that with a digital camera, but the file will still be huge.  What's the max size of file you could use without slowing the module excessively?

I have a Desert Rats map that's a .jpg, 2370x1348 pixels, file size is 2.37Mb.  The hexes are clear, but to make it usable I'd have to redo all of the numbers.  Sample below.

Attached Files Image(s)

06-15-2015, 12:13 PM,
Due to the simplicity of the original graphics, I think the best approach to a AK or DR module would be to create new maps with simple terrain shading. Replicating the originals without the art files is a lot of work for very little benefit.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-15-2015, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM by joe_oppenheimer.)
(06-15-2015, 08:31 AM)Shad Wrote: In addition to what's already been mentioned, I brought Elsenborn up to around 80% completion last fall and then couldn't invest anymore time in the project. Peter has graciously picked up the project, redesigned some iffy bits, and polished it significantly. We're in final testing and will probably submit it to AP by the end of this week.

An Elsenborn module would be a great addition.
06-18-2015, 08:50 PM,
(06-15-2015, 08:31 AM)Shad Wrote: In addition to what's already been mentioned, I brought Elsenborn up to around 80% completion last fall and then couldn't invest anymore time in the project. Peter has graciously picked up the project, redesigned some iffy bits, and polished it significantly. We're in final testing and will probably submit it to AP by the end of this week.

@spackweasel, your greatest obstacle will be procuring high quality map artwork. I'd love a Cassino or Africa Korps module but the maps are virtually unscannable.

Scanning those maps is a nightmare I agree. I have a fairly good photographic setup and will see later today if I can approach it using low light and long exposure with a low ASA. Should solve the reflectivity problems. Fingers crossed.

Do you think there are enough people about to make a Kickstarter project commercially viable. Equally, do you think AP would be amenable.   
06-18-2015, 10:36 PM,
(06-18-2015, 08:50 PM)spackweasel Wrote: Do you think there are enough people about to make a Kickstarter project commercially viable. Equally, do you think AP would be amenable.   

No, Vassal can't functionally be locked down. You make a module, it goes to the wild. Not a good business model.
Hell no! APL wants to keep access restricted through their website. You will notice on the Vassal site that they refuse to host AP and SPI games.